Re: [TalkAntietam] George Otott Article in Savas re First Texas and Cornfield

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2001
      Laura,

      Interesting that an infantryman could become part of an artillery
      unit. George Otott does say in the article that many of the
      gunners of the 4th US, Battery B, aka Campbell's Battery, were
      wounded or killed by Confederate small arms fire. So the friend's
      gg-grandfather who won the CMoH could have been pressed into
      service.

      I think we would be interested in hearing what the friend's
      ancestor, Johnny Johnson, did to merit the nation's highest
      military honor.

      Your humble servant,
      Gerry Mayers
      Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

      Edward Lee

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2001
        David,

        Campbell's battery is mentioned a few times in the article, but no
        substantial information is given. Naturally, the piece is about
        the 1 TX, that that is where the focus is. Definitly a very
        good read, if you have the chance.

        Regards,
        TR Livesey
        tlivesey@...

        the 1st TX the main subject
        David Lutton wrote:

        > Gerry,
        >
        > I am not familar with the article mentioned but as my interest in the battle
        > centers around the action in the cornfield area perhaps you would elaborate
        > on it? Any info that Battery B, 4thUS was perhaps involved in would be of
        > the greatest interest to me.
        >
        > David Lutton
        > Hollidaysburg Pa
      • Laura Denny
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 1, 2001
          David (Lutton) writes:

          > Any info that Battery B, 4thUS was perhaps involved in would be of
          > the greatest interest to me.

          David,
          Battery B, 4th US Artillery was, indeed, involved in the Cornfield. I'm
          not familiar with the article in question, but there are lots of references
          to the actions of the Battery which was attached to the Iron Brigade.
          A friend of mine's g-g-grandfather won the CMoH while with Battery B
          in the Cornfield. He was Johnny Johnson and was serving with the artillery
          unit while on detached duty from the (2nd?-memory fails) Wisconsin.
          What's your interest in Battery B, 4th US?
          All the best,
          Laura
        • David Lutton
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 2, 2001
            Laura,

            My interest in Battery B stems from a article I read over 20 years ago on
            the action that took place along the Hagerstown Pike. In my opinion no
            Union battery performed so well as Campbell's did on that bloody day. I
            have followed them along to Gettysburg where they again did yeoman service
            at the railroad cut to their " good practice" at Cold Harbor in 64.

            You are correct. Like your friends ancestor, the battery included
            "volunteer's" from the Iron Brigade which gave me my initial interest in
            that famous unit.

            David Lutton
            Hollidaysburg Pa
            > > Any info that Battery B, 4thUS was perhaps involved in would be of
            > > the greatest interest to me.
            >
            > David,
            > Battery B, 4th US Artillery was, indeed, involved in the Cornfield.
            I'm
            > not familiar with the article in question, but there are lots of
            references
            > to the actions of the Battery which was attached to the Iron Brigade.
            > A friend of mine's g-g-grandfather won the CMoH while with Battery B
            > in the Cornfield. He was Johnny Johnson and was serving with the artillery
            > unit while on detached duty from the (2nd?-memory fails) Wisconsin.
            > What's your interest in Battery B, 4th US?
            > All the best,
            > Laura

          • Tom Clemens
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 18, 2001
              All,
              We're not sure what date is the work day yet. Norm Feil and I just spent the
              better part of a week working front of Bloody Lane, the tree line is almost
              gone. I'll let oyu know as soon as I can.
              Tom