Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Carman update

    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 29, 2007
      Joe;

      The 1904 Carman was the Cope-Carman revision, IIRC.

      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 29, 2007
        Gerry:

        We might be talking past each other.

        The 1904 edition of the ATLAS is the original edition of that book. The maps themselves predate that, but their first appearance bound in book form is 1904.

        A revised version of the ATLAS was then issued in 1908.

        Are their revisions between the original Carman-Cope maps from the 1890s and what was printed and bound in 1904? Yes. (As anyone on this board who has every published anything knows, one is constantly tweaking the final product.)

        When I talk about originals and revisions, however, I'm only speaking of the ATLAS itself as a bound book, not the individual map plates inside. 1904 isn't the date of the first maps, but it's the first date of a bound BOOK of maps.

        --jake

        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 29, 2007
          Stephen,

          Sorry I didn't know you had a set for sale--did you put them on eBay?
          If "yes," under what category? Do you have another set for sale?

          Larry F.

          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 29, 2007
            Ok. Thanks for the clarification.

            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 29, 2007
              I've only found one source on line--Morningside--at $250!! Poor me.

              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 29, 2007
                Larry,

                Sorry. All gone. No more.

                Stephen

                On Monday, October 29, 2007, at 12:38 PM, eighth_conn_inf wrote:

                > Sorry I didn't know you had a set for sale--did you put them on eBay?
                > If "yes," under what category? Do you have another set for sale?

              • Brian Richardson
                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 29, 2007
                  There seems to be no copyright info in the documentation that
                  accompanies the map CD sold in the bookstore, but the maps themselves
                  have a 1904 date.

                  Brian Richardson

                  <joseph_pierro@...> wrote:

                  > Yes, the LoC version is a bit odd. There are TWO separate scans of
                  the Atlas on the irwebsite, but they're BOTH of the first (1904)
                  edition of the Atlas. Why they digitized the same edition twice--
                  instead of digitizing one set of each edition--is beyond me

                  > How substantive are the changes? That's hard to quantify--but
                  Carman and co. felt that enough alterations had been made to justify
                  reissuing the entire Atlas four years later. Make of that what you
                  will. I can say that in some instances the position of a given
                  regiment is substantively changed from one edition to the next, while
                  in many others it's simply a matter of correcting a typo on one of
                  the maps or adding in a label that was left off of a particular
                  plate.

                  > I don't have a copy of the Antietam bookstore CD, so I can't say
                  which issue it is. Presumably, the original copyright info appears
                  somewhere on the disc. If it's 1904, it's the first edition; if 1908,
                  it's the 2d.

                  > As for Desjardin's Gettysburg maps, the last time I was there
                  (about a year or two ago) they were still for sale. If you're
                  interested, I'd contact the Eastern National bookshop at the
                  Gettysburg VC.

                • Joseph Pierro
                  Message 8 of 26 , Oct 30, 2007
                    If the maps on that disc are dated 1904, then they're from the original edition of the Antietam Atlas.

                    Given the fact that they are digitized on a CD, I'm willing to bet that the CD was made from the same set of scans that the LoC has now made available on its website.

                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 17, 2007
                      Jake,

                      Could you contact me with a PM at killsour@... with a
                      question re your pub date moved to January 2008?

                      Thank you,

                      Larry Freiheit

                      Message 10 of 26 , Dec 31, 2007

                        I know a photographer who might be able to help. Do you have any
                        specifics on the negatives you have? Are they the 1908 version?