Re: [TalkAntietam] George Otott Article in Savas re First Texas and Cornfield

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2001
      David;

      To obtain a copy of the article yourself, I would suggest you
      contact John Furey who is quite a student of the Texas Brigade.
      His email address is antietam@....

      As to your question about Battery B, Fourth United States, I have
      reviewed the article and found:

      1. Campbell's battery of artillery, as most accounts put it, was
      definitely Battery B, 4th US;
      2. The battery was stationed in the mow pasture about 50 yards
      down from the DR Miller barn on the right side of the Hagerstown
      Turnpike as one advanced down toward the Dunkard Church;
      3. A battery commanded by a Capt. Ransom, located nearly a
      hundred yards behind Meade's Pennsylvania Reserves, blasted the
      First Texas at nearly point blank range in the area of the
      southern edge of the Cornfield;
      4. Hampton's Legion and the Eighteenth Georgia were subjected to
      heavy artillery fire from Campbell's guns, which were firing
      canister;
      5. Due to Doubleday's infantry and Campbell's guns, the Fourth
      Texas, my unit, Hampton's Legion and the Eighteenth Georgia were
      unable to make much more headway through the Cornfield;
      6. Campbell's guns did a terrible piece of work against the
      Rebels in the Cornfield area along the Hagerstown Pike, with each
      shell blowing fence rails into the air and filling the air with
      deadly pieces of shrapnel.

      My comments above are but a short synopsis of the artillery
      action as part of the overall battle for The Cornfield between
      the Federals and the Confederates defending Jackson's left. The
      fight in The Cornfield area was perhaps as nasty and brutal in
      its savagery and point-blank range as was the later fight at the
      "Bloody Angle" at Spotsylvania CH.

      Hope this helps!

      Your humble servant,
      Gerry Mayers
      Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

      Edward Lee

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2001
        Laura,

        Interesting that an infantryman could become part of an artillery
        unit. George Otott does say in the article that many of the
        gunners of the 4th US, Battery B, aka Campbell's Battery, were
        wounded or killed by Confederate small arms fire. So the friend's
        gg-grandfather who won the CMoH could have been pressed into
        service.

        I think we would be interested in hearing what the friend's
        ancestor, Johnny Johnson, did to merit the nation's highest
        military honor.

        Your humble servant,
        Gerry Mayers
        Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

        Edward Lee

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 1, 2001
          David,

          Campbell's battery is mentioned a few times in the article, but no
          substantial information is given. Naturally, the piece is about
          the 1 TX, that that is where the focus is. Definitly a very
          good read, if you have the chance.

          Regards,
          TR Livesey
          tlivesey@...

          the 1st TX the main subject
          David Lutton wrote:

          > Gerry,
          >
          > I am not familar with the article mentioned but as my interest in the battle
          > centers around the action in the cornfield area perhaps you would elaborate
          > on it? Any info that Battery B, 4thUS was perhaps involved in would be of
          > the greatest interest to me.
          >
          > David Lutton
          > Hollidaysburg Pa
        • Laura Denny
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 1, 2001
            David (Lutton) writes:

            > Any info that Battery B, 4thUS was perhaps involved in would be of
            > the greatest interest to me.

            David,
            Battery B, 4th US Artillery was, indeed, involved in the Cornfield. I'm
            not familiar with the article in question, but there are lots of references
            to the actions of the Battery which was attached to the Iron Brigade.
            A friend of mine's g-g-grandfather won the CMoH while with Battery B
            in the Cornfield. He was Johnny Johnson and was serving with the artillery
            unit while on detached duty from the (2nd?-memory fails) Wisconsin.
            What's your interest in Battery B, 4th US?
            All the best,
            Laura
          • David Lutton
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 2, 2001
              Laura,

              My interest in Battery B stems from a article I read over 20 years ago on
              the action that took place along the Hagerstown Pike. In my opinion no
              Union battery performed so well as Campbell's did on that bloody day. I
              have followed them along to Gettysburg where they again did yeoman service
              at the railroad cut to their " good practice" at Cold Harbor in 64.

              You are correct. Like your friends ancestor, the battery included
              "volunteer's" from the Iron Brigade which gave me my initial interest in
              that famous unit.

              David Lutton
              Hollidaysburg Pa
              > > Any info that Battery B, 4thUS was perhaps involved in would be of
              > > the greatest interest to me.
              >
              > David,
              > Battery B, 4th US Artillery was, indeed, involved in the Cornfield.
              I'm
              > not familiar with the article in question, but there are lots of
              references
              > to the actions of the Battery which was attached to the Iron Brigade.
              > A friend of mine's g-g-grandfather won the CMoH while with Battery B
              > in the Cornfield. He was Johnny Johnson and was serving with the artillery
              > unit while on detached duty from the (2nd?-memory fails) Wisconsin.
              > What's your interest in Battery B, 4th US?
              > All the best,
              > Laura

            • Tom Clemens
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 18, 2001
                All,
                We're not sure what date is the work day yet. Norm Feil and I just spent the
                better part of a week working front of Bloody Lane, the tree line is almost
                gone. I'll let oyu know as soon as I can.
                Tom