Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Carman update

    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 29, 2007
      Larry;

      That might be a good project for the Save Historic Antietam
      Foundation, of which Dr Tom Clemens is president.

      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 29, 2007
        That's the key to those maps (and why, after much struggle, my publishers decided we couldn't use them in my book). The information contained on them is so dense that if you shrink them down to, say, any smaller than the modern version of the OR Atlas you find in bookstores today (which is about 20% smaller than the ORIGINAL Atlas plates) you can't make out the individual regiments.

        Your idea for a non-profit to undertake the project is a good one. About ten years ago, the Friends of the National Parks at Gettysburg did something similar, and funded a project whereby Tom Desjardin did three new topo and troop position maps of that battle (one for each day).

        Admittedly, the Carman Atlas is 14 maps, not three, but then you woulnd't have any cartographic costs involved. All you need to do is repoduce an already extant set of maps.

        From what I understand, the real cost comes from producing the image in a reproducable format. If the LoC ever creates high-res scans of the 2d edition, printing copies from the scans--even on a sturdy, laminate paper--would be very cheap.

        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 29, 2007
          Are there substantive changes between the two versions of Carman's
          maps? I didn't realize the version on the LOC website is the earlier
          one. Is the CD available in the Antietam bookstore the earlier
          version?

          The problem for me with the 20% smaller copies of the OR Atlas is the
          crease in the pages for the larger maps. Also, some printings of the
          atlas vary in quality re the colors, details,etc. I have two versions
          by different publishers and they are noticably different. So you are
          correct, to make full-size copies of the Carman originals using high
          res is needed. Regiment locations are critical for most serious
          students of the battle so they must be very clear IMO.

          The problem with a non profit like SHAF doing the maps is can the
          cost of the printing be recovered? How many could be sold at $250 a
          set to recoup printing costs? Of course the calculation has to
          include the minimum number a printer would require before it would
          print an order as well as any marketing expenses.

          Are the Gettysburg Desjardin maps still available?

          <joseph_pierro@...> wrote:

          > That's the key to those maps (and why, after much struggle, my
          publishers decided we couldn't use them in my book). The information
          contained on them is so dense that if you shrink them down to, say,
          any smaller than the modern version of the OR Atlas you find in
          bookstores today (which is about 20% smaller than the ORIGINAL Atlas
          plates) you can't make out the individual regiments.

          > Your idea for a non-profit to undertake the project is a good one.
          About ten years ago, the Friends of the National Parks at Gettysburg
          did something similar, and funded a project whereby Tom Desjardin did
          three new topo and troop position maps of that battle (one for each
          day).

          > Admittedly, the Carman Atlas is 14 maps, not three, but then you
          woulnd't have any cartographic costs involved. All you need to do is
          repoduce an already extant set of maps.

          > From what I understand, the real cost comes from producing the
          image in a reproducable format. If the LoC ever creates high-res
          scans of the 2d edition, printing copies from the scans--even on a
          sturdy, laminate paper--would be very cheap.

          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 29, 2007

            You have a good suggestion. I'm sure SHAF would be concerned about
            making a large investment in printing costs without knowing if those
            costs would be recouped. Certainly the sets of maps could sit on a
            shelf since they would not become obsolete but having an investment
            of several thousands of dollars sitting idle might not be something
            they would like after the initial sets are sold.

            Is there a set of printed Bachelder maps available?

            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 29, 2007
              Larry,
              Save Historic Antietam Foundation at one time considered printing
              copies for sale, but the numbers did not work out. To print them large
              enough to be legible is pretty pricey and we didn't think we could sell
              enough to make it worthwhile. Given the access of the LOC site, it is
              less likely now. If you have any ideas about production, we have 8x10
              photo negatives of all fourteen maps.

              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 29, 2007
                I just sold my set of Gettysburg Bachelder maps. They did not move fast
                and I sold them for a LOT less than the $250 retail price. I can't
                imagine that would be a big money maker. Perhaps offering them on a
                print-on-demand basis?

                Stephen

                On Monday, October 29, 2007, at 09:25 AM, eighth_conn_inf wrote:

                > You have a good suggestion. I'm sure SHAF would be concerned about
                > making a large investment in printing costs without knowing if those
                > costs would be recouped. Certainly the sets of maps could sit on a
                > shelf since they would not become obsolete but having an investment
                > of several thousands of dollars sitting idle might not be something
                > they would like after the initial sets are sold.
                >
                > Is there a set of printed Bachelder maps available?

              • Joseph Pierro
                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 29, 2007
                  Yes, the LoC version is a bit odd. There are TWO separate scans of the Atlas on the irwebsite, but they're BOTH of the first (1904) edition of the Atlas. Why they digitized the same edition twice--instead of digitizing one set of each edition--is beyond me

                  How substantive are the changes? That's hard to quantify--but Carman and co. felt that enough alterations had been made to justify reissuing the entire Atlas four years later. Make of that what you will. I can say that in some instances the position of a given regiment is substantively changed from one edition to the next, while in many others it's simply a matter of correcting a typo on one of the maps or adding in a label that was left off of a particular plate.

                  I don't have a copy of the Antietam bookstore CD, so I can't say which issue it is. Presumably, the original copyright info appears somewhere on the disc. If it's 1904, it's the first edition; if 1908, it's the 2d.

                  As for Desjardin's Gettysburg maps, the last time I was there (about a year or two ago) they were still for sale. If you're interested, I'd contact the Eastern National bookshop at the Gettysburg VC.

                  <joseph_pierro@ ...> wrote:

                  > That's the key to those maps (and why, after much struggle, my
                  publishers decided we couldn't use them in my book). The information
                  contained on them is so dense that if you shrink them down to, say,
                  any smaller than the modern version of the OR Atlas you find in
                  bookstores today (which is about 20% smaller than the ORIGINAL Atlas
                  plates) you can't make out the individual regiments.

                  > Your idea for a non-profit to undertake the project is a good one.
                  About ten years ago, the Friends of the National Parks at Gettysburg
                  did something similar, and funded a project whereby Tom Desjardin did
                  three new topo and troop position maps of that battle (one for each
                  day).

                  > Admittedly, the Carman Atlas is 14 maps, not three, but then you
                  woulnd't have any cartographic costs involved. All you need to do is
                  repoduce an already extant set of maps.

                  > From what I understand, the real cost comes from producing the
                  image in a reproducable format. If the LoC ever creates high-res
                  scans of the 2d edition, printing copies from the scans--even on a
                  sturdy, laminate paper--would be very cheap.

                • Joseph Pierro
                  Message 8 of 26 , Oct 29, 2007
                    Yes, the full Bachelder set of 28 maps (37" x 27 1/2") was reprinted in color by Morningside Books of Dayton, Ohio, some years ago. The item still appears on their website (morningsidebooksDOTcom).

                    What would it cost to make a reproducable image of each Carman map? What is the production cost to print them? What's the market demand for the map sets? I couldn't begin to answer any of these questions. (Fairly or not, Gettysburg exists on an order of magnitude apart from any other CW battle in terms of marketplace interest.)

                    My sense, though, is that if any non profit were to try and tackle such a project, they'd need to apply for a grant from some organization or foundation to cover the costs. I'd be REALLY surprised if the economics of such an undertaking would allow such a project to break even, let alone run in the black.

                    --jake

                    --- In TalkAntietam@ yahoogroups. com, "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@. ..>

                    Message 9 of 26 , Oct 29, 2007
                      Joe;

                      The 1904 Carman was the Cope-Carman revision, IIRC.

                      > Yes, the LoC version is a bit odd. There are TWO separate
                      > scans of the Atlas on the irwebsite, but they're BOTH of the
                      > first (1904) edition of the Atlas. Why they digitized the same
                      > edition twice--instead of digitizing one set of each
                      > edition--is beyond me
                      >
                      > How substantive are the changes? That's hard to quantify--but
                      > Carman and co. felt that enough alterations had been made to
                      > justify reissuing the entire Atlas four years later. Make of
                      > that what you will. I can say that in some instances the
                      > position of a given regiment is substantively changed from one
                      > edition to the next, while in many others it's simply a matter
                      > of correcting a typo on one of the maps or adding in a label
                      > that was left off of a particular plate.
                      >
                      > I don't have a copy of the Antietam bookstore CD, so I can't
                      > say which issue it is. Presumably, the original copyright info
                      > appears somewhere on the disc. If it's 1904, it's the first
                      > edition; if 1908, it's the 2d.
                      >
                      > As for Desjardin's Gettysburg maps, the last time I was there
                      > (about a year or two ago) they were still for sale. If you're
                      > interested, I'd contact the Eastern National bookshop at the
                      > Gettysburg VC.

                    • Joseph Pierro
                      Message 10 of 26 , Oct 29, 2007
                        Gerry:

                        We might be talking past each other.

                        The 1904 edition of the ATLAS is the original edition of that book. The maps themselves predate that, but their first appearance bound in book form is 1904.

                        A revised version of the ATLAS was then issued in 1908.

                        Are their revisions between the original Carman-Cope maps from the 1890s and what was printed and bound in 1904? Yes. (As anyone on this board who has every published anything knows, one is constantly tweaking the final product.)

                        When I talk about originals and revisions, however, I'm only speaking of the ATLAS itself as a bound book, not the individual map plates inside. 1904 isn't the date of the first maps, but it's the first date of a bound BOOK of maps.

                        --jake

                        Message 11 of 26 , Oct 29, 2007
                          Stephen,

                          Sorry I didn't know you had a set for sale--did you put them on eBay?
                          If "yes," under what category? Do you have another set for sale?

                          Larry F.

                          Message 12 of 26 , Oct 29, 2007
                            Ok. Thanks for the clarification.

                            Message 13 of 26 , Oct 29, 2007
                              I've only found one source on line--Morningside--at $250!! Poor me.

                              Message 14 of 26 , Oct 29, 2007
                                Larry,

                                Sorry. All gone. No more.

                                Stephen

                                On Monday, October 29, 2007, at 12:38 PM, eighth_conn_inf wrote:

                                > Sorry I didn't know you had a set for sale--did you put them on eBay?
                                > If "yes," under what category? Do you have another set for sale?

                              • Brian Richardson
                                Message 15 of 26 , Oct 29, 2007
                                  There seems to be no copyright info in the documentation that
                                  accompanies the map CD sold in the bookstore, but the maps themselves
                                  have a 1904 date.

                                  Brian Richardson

                                  <joseph_pierro@...> wrote:

                                  > Yes, the LoC version is a bit odd. There are TWO separate scans of
                                  the Atlas on the irwebsite, but they're BOTH of the first (1904)
                                  edition of the Atlas. Why they digitized the same edition twice--
                                  instead of digitizing one set of each edition--is beyond me

                                  > How substantive are the changes? That's hard to quantify--but
                                  Carman and co. felt that enough alterations had been made to justify
                                  reissuing the entire Atlas four years later. Make of that what you
                                  will. I can say that in some instances the position of a given
                                  regiment is substantively changed from one edition to the next, while
                                  in many others it's simply a matter of correcting a typo on one of
                                  the maps or adding in a label that was left off of a particular
                                  plate.

                                  > I don't have a copy of the Antietam bookstore CD, so I can't say
                                  which issue it is. Presumably, the original copyright info appears
                                  somewhere on the disc. If it's 1904, it's the first edition; if 1908,
                                  it's the 2d.

                                  > As for Desjardin's Gettysburg maps, the last time I was there
                                  (about a year or two ago) they were still for sale. If you're
                                  interested, I'd contact the Eastern National bookshop at the
                                  Gettysburg VC.

                                • Joseph Pierro
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Oct 30, 2007
                                    If the maps on that disc are dated 1904, then they're from the original edition of the Antietam Atlas.

                                    Given the fact that they are digitized on a CD, I'm willing to bet that the CD was made from the same set of scans that the LoC has now made available on its website.

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Dec 17, 2007
                                      Jake,

                                      Could you contact me with a PM at killsour@... with a
                                      question re your pub date moved to January 2008?

                                      Thank you,

                                      Larry Freiheit

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Dec 31, 2007

                                        I know a photographer who might be able to help. Do you have any
                                        specifics on the negatives you have? Are they the 1908 version?