Re: [TalkAntietam] re G B Anderson Brigade Approach to and Retreat from Fox's Gap

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 29, 2007
      Dear Tom,

      So where would the old Boonsboro Turnpike have gone through
      Keedysville (or Centerville as I believe it was called then?)?

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 29, 2007
        It became Keedysville officially in 1848 when a new post office was
        established there and Maryland already had a Centreville post office on
        the eastern shore. Lee dates one of his dispatches from "Centreville"
        so he must have either used an old map, or run into a traditionalist :-)
        The turnpike led directly through town on what is now Main Street.
        Today there is a bypass which takes Rt 34 around the town, thank God,
        but you can get off it and drive right through on the old road.

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 30, 2008
          Dear Tom,

          Thanks. That is what I thought.....

          BTW, do you happen to have a copy of Shinn's Diary on a CD? I did
          have a copy on a diskette but my current computer no longer
          allows for 3.5 diskettes.