George Otott Article in Savas re First Texas and Cornfield

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 30, 2001
      Group,

      Since we have been comatose for quite a while, I am wondering if
      asking a question or tow would revive us?

      I recently skimmed over the excellent article written by George
      Otott for Savas about the First Texas in the Cornfield. I
      wondered if any other members of the group have read the piece
      and would like to have their comments and thoughts.

      Let us get the group going again please!

      Your humble servant,
      Gerry Mayers
      Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

      Edward Lee
    • David Lutton
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2001

        I am not familar with the article mentioned but as my interest in the battle
        centers around the action in the cornfield area perhaps you would elaborate
        on it? Any info that Battery B, 4thUS was perhaps involved in would be of
        the greatest interest to me.

        David Lutton
        Hollidaysburg Pa

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 1, 2001
          David;

          To obtain a copy of the article yourself, I would suggest you
          contact John Furey who is quite a student of the Texas Brigade.
          His email address is antietam@....

          As to your question about Battery B, Fourth United States, I have
          reviewed the article and found:

          1. Campbell's battery of artillery, as most accounts put it, was
          definitely Battery B, 4th US;
          2. The battery was stationed in the mow pasture about 50 yards
          down from the DR Miller barn on the right side of the Hagerstown
          Turnpike as one advanced down toward the Dunkard Church;
          3. A battery commanded by a Capt. Ransom, located nearly a
          hundred yards behind Meade's Pennsylvania Reserves, blasted the
          First Texas at nearly point blank range in the area of the
          southern edge of the Cornfield;
          4. Hampton's Legion and the Eighteenth Georgia were subjected to
          heavy artillery fire from Campbell's guns, which were firing
          canister;
          5. Due to Doubleday's infantry and Campbell's guns, the Fourth
          Texas, my unit, Hampton's Legion and the Eighteenth Georgia were
          unable to make much more headway through the Cornfield;
          6. Campbell's guns did a terrible piece of work against the
          Rebels in the Cornfield area along the Hagerstown Pike, with each
          shell blowing fence rails into the air and filling the air with
          deadly pieces of shrapnel.

          My comments above are but a short synopsis of the artillery
          action as part of the overall battle for The Cornfield between
          the Federals and the Confederates defending Jackson's left. The
          fight in The Cornfield area was perhaps as nasty and brutal in
          its savagery and point-blank range as was the later fight at the
          "Bloody Angle" at Spotsylvania CH.

          Hope this helps!

          Your humble servant,
          Gerry Mayers
          Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

          Edward Lee

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 1, 2001
            Laura,

            Interesting that an infantryman could become part of an artillery
            unit. George Otott does say in the article that many of the
            gunners of the 4th US, Battery B, aka Campbell's Battery, were
            wounded or killed by Confederate small arms fire. So the friend's
            gg-grandfather who won the CMoH could have been pressed into
            service.

            I think we would be interested in hearing what the friend's
            ancestor, Johnny Johnson, did to merit the nation's highest
            military honor.

            Your humble servant,
            Gerry Mayers
            Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

            Edward Lee

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 1, 2001
              David,

              Campbell's battery is mentioned a few times in the article, but no
              substantial information is given. Naturally, the piece is about
              the 1 TX, that that is where the focus is. Definitly a very
              good read, if you have the chance.

              Regards,
              TR Livesey
              tlivesey@...

              the 1st TX the main subject
              David Lutton wrote:

              > Gerry,
              >
              > I am not familar with the article mentioned but as my interest in the battle
              > centers around the action in the cornfield area perhaps you would elaborate
              > on it? Any info that Battery B, 4thUS was perhaps involved in would be of
              > the greatest interest to me.
              >
              > David Lutton
              > Hollidaysburg Pa
            • Laura Denny
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 1, 2001

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 2, 2001
                  Laura,

                  My interest in Battery B stems from a article I read over 20 years ago on
                  the action that took place along the Hagerstown Pike. In my opinion no
                  Union battery performed so well as Campbell's did on that bloody day. I
                  have followed them along to Gettysburg where they again did yeoman service
                  at the railroad cut to their " good practice" at Cold Harbor in 64.

                  You are correct. Like your friends ancestor, the battery included
                  "volunteer's" from the Iron Brigade which gave me my initial interest in
                  that famous unit.

                  David Lutton
                  Hollidaysburg Pa
                  > > Any info that Battery B, 4thUS was perhaps involved in would be of
                  > > the greatest interest to me.
                  >
                  > David,
                  > Battery B, 4th US Artillery was, indeed, involved in the Cornfield.
                  I'm
                  > not familiar with the article in question, but there are lots of
                  references
                  > to the actions of the Battery which was attached to the Iron Brigade.
                  > A friend of mine's g-g-grandfather won the CMoH while with Battery B
                  > in the Cornfield. He was Johnny Johnson and was serving with the artillery
                  > unit while on detached duty from the (2nd?-memory fails) Wisconsin.
                  > What's your interest in Battery B, 4th US?
                  > All the best,
                  > Laura

                • Tom Clemens
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 18, 2001
                    All,
                    We're not sure what date is the work day yet. Norm Feil and I just spent the
                    better part of a week working front of Bloody Lane, the tree line is almost
                    gone. I'll let oyu know as soon as I can.
                    Tom