RE: [TalkAntietam] Re: Col. Isaac Avery Cemetery Stone Dedication

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 25, 2007
      Thanks Harry. I think that source was used by Steve Stottelmyer when he
      did his book. Some of the story is in there, IIRC.

      >>> "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...> 10/25/2007 9:38 AM >>>
      Note #77 on page 461 of Kent Brown's "Retreat form Gettysburg" says
      that
      "although the newspaper [Raleigh News-Observer-Chronicle] states that
      Elijah
      [his slave] took Avery's body back to North Carolina, it was actually
      buried
      in Williamsport. The remains were later exhumed and reinterred in the
      Confederate section of Rose Hill Cemetery in Hagerstown." The source
      for
      this is on page 53 of Oden Bowie's "A Descriptive List of the Burial
      Places
      of the Remains of Confederate Soldiers Whi Fell in the Batles of
      Antietam,
      South Mountain, Monocacy, and Other Points in Washington and Frederick
      Counties in the State of Maryland." This book was published by the
      Free
      Press of Hagerstown in 1867.

      Brown says Elijah realized the remains would not last in the heat and
      rain,
      and so buried them in Riverview Cemetery near the casualties of the
      wagoners' fight. I wonder if Elijah continued on "home".

      Harry