RE: [TalkAntietam] Re: Col. Isaac Avery Cemetery Stone Dedication

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 25, 2007
      Note #77 on page 461 of Kent Brown's "Retreat form Gettysburg" says that
      "although the newspaper [Raleigh News-Observer-Chronicle] states that Elijah
      [his slave] took Avery's body back to North Carolina, it was actually buried
      in Williamsport. The remains were later exhumed and reinterred in the
      Confederate section of Rose Hill Cemetery in Hagerstown." The source for
      this is on page 53 of Oden Bowie's "A Descriptive List of the Burial Places
      of the Remains of Confederate Soldiers Whi Fell in the Batles of Antietam,
      South Mountain, Monocacy, and Other Points in Washington and Frederick
      Counties in the State of Maryland." This book was published by the Free
      Press of Hagerstown in 1867.

      Brown says Elijah realized the remains would not last in the heat and rain,
      and so buried them in Riverview Cemetery near the casualties of the
      wagoners' fight. I wonder if Elijah continued on "home".

      Harry

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 25, 2007
        Thanks Harry. I think that source was used by Steve Stottelmyer when he
        did his book. Some of the story is in there, IIRC.