RE: Feedback Requested - Antieam - A watershed of Blood

  • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 25, 2007
      Mike,

      I enjoyed your work. While I expected a more detailed account of the battle, you did present a good overview of the campaign.

      Bill Christen

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 25, 2007
        Elevating a Battle Site From a Historical Footnote

        By Linda Wheeler

        10/14/2007

        Washington Post (DC)

        http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-
        dyn/content/article/2007/10/09/AR2007100902500.html

        When discussing the Battle of Shepherdstown, Edward and Carol Dunleavy
        would often get the same response: "The battle of what?"

        But after three years of lectures, rallies and fundraisers to help
        preserve the West Virginia battlefield, the Dunleavys say they believe
        the
        1862 skirmish, known as the last battle of Robert E. Lee's Maryland
        Campaign, might finally be getting its place in history.

        Edward Dunleavy, president of the Shepherdstown Battlefield Preservation
        Association, and Carol Dunleavy, its secretary and webmaster, said their
        group originally formed to stop proposed residential development of the
        battlefield because it would be inconsistent with the rural character of
        that part of Jefferson County.

        But the association's mission soon grew to include getting recognition
        and
        protection for the battlefield, which is about 1.5 miles southeast of
        Shepherdstown and includes a 200-year-old brick house, high bluffs
        overlooking the Potomac River and the remains of an 1850s cement factory
        on the shoreline.

        The association's efforts got the attention of U.S. Sen. Robert C. Byrd
        (D-
        W.Va.), who introduced legislation last month to request a study by the
        National Park Service to determine the suitability and feasibility of
        including the battlefield in the national Civil War battlefield system.

        "There are 300 acres in the core battlefield, and we've already saved 84
        acres through easements," Edward Dunleavy said. "We intend for the site
        be preserved as a park."

        The Shepherdstown battle, which played out Sept. 19 and 20 in 1862, has
        never received much attention because it occurred after the cataclysmic
        Battle of Antietam on the 17th. The Shepherdstown battle is sometimes
        called the Battle of Boteler's Ford or Pack Horse Ford, referring to the
        place where the armies crossed the Potomac.

        The Army of Northern Virginia was in retreat from Antietam and headed
        toward the perceived safety of Virginia. At the time, Shepherdstown was
        in
        Virginia, a state that had seceded from the Union. In less than a year,
        Sheperdstown would be part of the new state of West Virginia, a Union
        stronghold.

        Lee sat on horseback in the middle of the river, watching the last of
        his
        exhausted troops cross into Virginia at dawn Sept. 19. At that moment,
        he
        might not have expected the ever-cautious Gen. George B. McClellan to
        pursue him, but the Army of the Potomac caught up with the Army of
        Northern Virginia about three hours later.

        Brig. Gen. William Nelson Pendleton had the artillery cover of 33
        cannons
        in place on the bluff above the river to guard the ford when Maj. Gen.
        Fitz John Porter's V Corps came into sight on the Maryland side. Seventy
        Union cannons were soon arrayed against the Confederates, who were
        forced
        to fall back. Some Union artillery shells crashed into houses in
        Shepherdstown, causing panic among the residents.

        A small infantry detachment crossed the river and seized several of
        Pendleton's guns before crossing back over the river for the night.

        The next morning, the Union men crossed the river again and climbed the
        bluffs, and an infantry battle ensued around the brick house. The Union
        forces were outnumbered 2 to 1, and a retreat was called, with some of
        the
        soldiers dying as they fell down the steep bluffs under Confederate
        fire.

        The battle and retreat took place over four hours. Approximately 900 men
        were involved, with more than 600 casualties. The Army of the Potomac
        returned to Maryland, and the Confederates retreated farther into the
        Shenandoah Valley.

        The battlefield is a serene place now. The ford and a ruined dam built
        for
        the cement factory are visible, and anglers use them to fish. Trees
        growing on what was the factory floor are framed by broken walls of
        hand-
        cut stone blocks. The rugged bluffs that rise above are a challenge to
        an
        experienced climber. At the top, the ground levels off into soybean
        fields
        and wooded areas.

        The old farmhouse, now a rental property, shows the marks of battle. A
        cannonball protrudes from the brick wall on the second floor, just
        below a
        bedroom window.

        Linda Wheeler may be reached at 540-465-8934 or cwwheel@....
      • Darmok4349@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 25, 2007
          Bill,

          Thanks for your feedback. I have done several of these movies over the years and this has always been an issue for me. I have always found it difficult to go into a lot of details on the battle itself. The basic concept of the film was to do a basic overview of the entire campaign and it's political implications and how it changed the the area around Sharpsburg from this anonymous piece of landscape to and American icon.