Re: Col. Isaac Avery Cemetery Stone Dedication

  • barringer63
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 24, 2007
      Gerry Mayers wrote:

      > Tom;
      >
      > Thanks. So he is the famous Avery who wrote the note about dying
      > with his face to the enemy on the evening of day 2 at Gettysburg?

      From "The Bloody Sixth: The Sixth North Carolina Regiment
      Confederate States of America" by Richard W. Iobst: "During the
      charge on East Cemetery Hill the Sixth Regiment and Hoke's brigade
      lost one of its most valuable officers. Isaac E. Avery fell mortally
      wounded with a bullet through the neck. Avery had been out in front,
      leading his men on a white horse, the only mounted officer in the
      charge. A musket ball had hit him on the right side at the base of
      his neck. According to an historian of the Avery family, 'It had
      burrowed its way through the great blood vessels and nerves that
      supply the upper extremity. He was stunned by the fall; his right arm
      went limp. Slow exsanguination set in...And there he died--Isaac
      Erwin Avery--a Citizen Soldier who bled to death on the field of
      battle and now rests in an unknown soldiers' grave.'
      "As Avery lay, slowly dying on a rocky Pennsylvania hillside, he
      remembered his parents, his birthplace at Swan Ponds, and the
      tradition from whence he came. Somehow the strength came to him to
      take out pencil and paper and write a message of pride and great
      relief to Major Tate, now commander of the regiment and another Burke
      County man: "Major, tell my father I died with my face to the enemy,
      I.E. Avery."

      "Col. Avery, a gallant officer, fell in front of the heights,
      mortally wounded, he died 30 hours afterward."

      According to this regimental history, Avery was wounded late in
      the afternoon/early evening of July 2 and died some 30 hours later,
      making the time of death sometime early on the morning of July 4.
      Iobst wrote that Hoke's Brigade began its march back toward Virginia
      in a pouring rain at dawn on the morning of July 5. If the time frame
      is correct, then Avery had already been dead for approximately 24
      hours. Wonder why he wasn't buried at Gettysburg?

      Teej
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 25, 2007
        Teej,
        I really don't recall the details of his death, my information source
        dealt mostly with a "J Avery" in the cemetery and a missing body of "I
        Avery" and figuring out the connection. The wagon train carrying the
        wounded left on the morning of the 4th, in fact very early on the
        morning, he may have been part of that.

      • Harry Smeltzer
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 25, 2007
          Accounts I have read say his body was taken by a family "servant" to either Williamsport or "near or in the cemetery at Ball's Bluff" where it was first buried before being taken to Hagerstown.
          Harry

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 25, 2007
            Note #77 on page 461 of Kent Brown's "Retreat form Gettysburg" says that
            "although the newspaper [Raleigh News-Observer-Chronicle] states that Elijah
            [his slave] took Avery's body back to North Carolina, it was actually buried
            in Williamsport. The remains were later exhumed and reinterred in the
            Confederate section of Rose Hill Cemetery in Hagerstown." The source for
            this is on page 53 of Oden Bowie's "A Descriptive List of the Burial Places
            of the Remains of Confederate Soldiers Whi Fell in the Batles of Antietam,
            South Mountain, Monocacy, and Other Points in Washington and Frederick
            Counties in the State of Maryland." This book was published by the Free
            Press of Hagerstown in 1867.

            Brown says Elijah realized the remains would not last in the heat and rain,
            and so buried them in Riverview Cemetery near the casualties of the
            wagoners' fight. I wonder if Elijah continued on "home".

            Harry

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 25, 2007
              Thanks Harry. I think that source was used by Steve Stottelmyer when he
              did his book. Some of the story is in there, IIRC.