Re: [TalkAntietam] Col. Isaac Avery Cemetery Stone Dedication

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 24, 2007
      Yes I think so, but that is about all the details I recall off the top
      of my head.

      Hmmm..... wonder when buried at Rose Hill? So his body would have
      been part of that great wagon train on the retreat...

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 24, 2007
        Gerry Mayers wrote:

        > Tom;
        >
        > Thanks. So he is the famous Avery who wrote the note about dying
        > with his face to the enemy on the evening of day 2 at Gettysburg?

        From "The Bloody Sixth: The Sixth North Carolina Regiment
        Confederate States of America" by Richard W. Iobst: "During the
        charge on East Cemetery Hill the Sixth Regiment and Hoke's brigade
        lost one of its most valuable officers. Isaac E. Avery fell mortally
        wounded with a bullet through the neck. Avery had been out in front,
        leading his men on a white horse, the only mounted officer in the
        charge. A musket ball had hit him on the right side at the base of
        his neck. According to an historian of the Avery family, 'It had
        burrowed its way through the great blood vessels and nerves that
        supply the upper extremity. He was stunned by the fall; his right arm
        went limp. Slow exsanguination set in...And there he died--Isaac
        Erwin Avery--a Citizen Soldier who bled to death on the field of
        battle and now rests in an unknown soldiers' grave.'
        "As Avery lay, slowly dying on a rocky Pennsylvania hillside, he
        remembered his parents, his birthplace at Swan Ponds, and the
        tradition from whence he came. Somehow the strength came to him to
        take out pencil and paper and write a message of pride and great
        relief to Major Tate, now commander of the regiment and another Burke
        County man: "Major, tell my father I died with my face to the enemy,
        I.E. Avery."

        "Col. Avery, a gallant officer, fell in front of the heights,
        mortally wounded, he died 30 hours afterward."

        According to this regimental history, Avery was wounded late in
        the afternoon/early evening of July 2 and died some 30 hours later,
        making the time of death sometime early on the morning of July 4.
        Iobst wrote that Hoke's Brigade began its march back toward Virginia
        in a pouring rain at dawn on the morning of July 5. If the time frame
        is correct, then Avery had already been dead for approximately 24
        hours. Wonder why he wasn't buried at Gettysburg?

        Teej
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 25, 2007
          Teej,
          I really don't recall the details of his death, my information source
          dealt mostly with a "J Avery" in the cemetery and a missing body of "I
          Avery" and figuring out the connection. The wagon train carrying the
          wounded left on the morning of the 4th, in fact very early on the
          morning, he may have been part of that.

        • Harry Smeltzer
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 25, 2007
            Accounts I have read say his body was taken by a family "servant" to either Williamsport or "near or in the cemetery at Ball's Bluff" where it was first buried before being taken to Hagerstown.
            Harry

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 25, 2007
              Note #77 on page 461 of Kent Brown's "Retreat form Gettysburg" says that
              "although the newspaper [Raleigh News-Observer-Chronicle] states that Elijah
              [his slave] took Avery's body back to North Carolina, it was actually buried
              in Williamsport. The remains were later exhumed and reinterred in the
              Confederate section of Rose Hill Cemetery in Hagerstown." The source for
              this is on page 53 of Oden Bowie's "A Descriptive List of the Burial Places
              of the Remains of Confederate Soldiers Whi Fell in the Batles of Antietam,
              South Mountain, Monocacy, and Other Points in Washington and Frederick
              Counties in the State of Maryland." This book was published by the Free
              Press of Hagerstown in 1867.

              Brown says Elijah realized the remains would not last in the heat and rain,
              and so buried them in Riverview Cemetery near the casualties of the
              wagoners' fight. I wonder if Elijah continued on "home".

              Harry

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 25, 2007
                Thanks Harry. I think that source was used by Steve Stottelmyer when he
                did his book. Some of the story is in there, IIRC.