Re: [TalkAntietam] Col. Isaac Avery Cemetery Stone Dedication

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 24, 2007
      Hmmm..... wonder when buried at Rose Hill? So his body would have
      been part of that great wagon train on the retreat...

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 24, 2007
        Yes I think so, but that is about all the details I recall off the top
        of my head.

        Hmmm..... wonder when buried at Rose Hill? So his body would have
        been part of that great wagon train on the retreat...

        > Yes. Evidently he was brought along with the wagon train and
        > then
        > buried here in the county, moved to Rose hill later.
        >
        > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

        > Tom;
        >
        > Thanks. So he is the famous Avery who wrote the note about
        > dying
        > with his face to the enemy on the evening of day 2 at
        > Gettysburg?

        > from

      • barringer63
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 24, 2007
          Gerry Mayers wrote:

          > Tom;
          >
          > Thanks. So he is the famous Avery who wrote the note about dying
          > with his face to the enemy on the evening of day 2 at Gettysburg?

          From "The Bloody Sixth: The Sixth North Carolina Regiment
          Confederate States of America" by Richard W. Iobst: "During the
          charge on East Cemetery Hill the Sixth Regiment and Hoke's brigade
          lost one of its most valuable officers. Isaac E. Avery fell mortally
          wounded with a bullet through the neck. Avery had been out in front,
          leading his men on a white horse, the only mounted officer in the
          charge. A musket ball had hit him on the right side at the base of
          his neck. According to an historian of the Avery family, 'It had
          burrowed its way through the great blood vessels and nerves that
          supply the upper extremity. He was stunned by the fall; his right arm
          went limp. Slow exsanguination set in...And there he died--Isaac
          Erwin Avery--a Citizen Soldier who bled to death on the field of
          battle and now rests in an unknown soldiers' grave.'
          "As Avery lay, slowly dying on a rocky Pennsylvania hillside, he
          remembered his parents, his birthplace at Swan Ponds, and the
          tradition from whence he came. Somehow the strength came to him to
          take out pencil and paper and write a message of pride and great
          relief to Major Tate, now commander of the regiment and another Burke
          County man: "Major, tell my father I died with my face to the enemy,
          I.E. Avery."

          "Col. Avery, a gallant officer, fell in front of the heights,
          mortally wounded, he died 30 hours afterward."

          According to this regimental history, Avery was wounded late in
          the afternoon/early evening of July 2 and died some 30 hours later,
          making the time of death sometime early on the morning of July 4.
          Iobst wrote that Hoke's Brigade began its march back toward Virginia
          in a pouring rain at dawn on the morning of July 5. If the time frame
          is correct, then Avery had already been dead for approximately 24
          hours. Wonder why he wasn't buried at Gettysburg?

          Teej
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 25, 2007
            Teej,
            I really don't recall the details of his death, my information source
            dealt mostly with a "J Avery" in the cemetery and a missing body of "I
            Avery" and figuring out the connection. The wagon train carrying the
            wounded left on the morning of the 4th, in fact very early on the
            morning, he may have been part of that.

          • Harry Smeltzer
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 25, 2007
              Accounts I have read say his body was taken by a family "servant" to either Williamsport or "near or in the cemetery at Ball's Bluff" where it was first buried before being taken to Hagerstown.
              Harry

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 25, 2007
                Note #77 on page 461 of Kent Brown's "Retreat form Gettysburg" says that
                "although the newspaper [Raleigh News-Observer-Chronicle] states that Elijah
                [his slave] took Avery's body back to North Carolina, it was actually buried
                in Williamsport. The remains were later exhumed and reinterred in the
                Confederate section of Rose Hill Cemetery in Hagerstown." The source for
                this is on page 53 of Oden Bowie's "A Descriptive List of the Burial Places
                of the Remains of Confederate Soldiers Whi Fell in the Batles of Antietam,
                South Mountain, Monocacy, and Other Points in Washington and Frederick
                Counties in the State of Maryland." This book was published by the Free
                Press of Hagerstown in 1867.

                Brown says Elijah realized the remains would not last in the heat and rain,
                and so buried them in Riverview Cemetery near the casualties of the
                wagoners' fight. I wonder if Elijah continued on "home".

                Harry

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 25, 2007
                  Thanks Harry. I think that source was used by Steve Stottelmyer when he
                  did his book. Some of the story is in there, IIRC.