Re: [TalkAntietam] Col. Isaac Avery Cemetery Stone Dedication

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 24, 2007
      Mortally wounded at Gettysburg, but his burial site was previously
      unknown. He was listed in the burials at Rose Hill as "J. Avery"
      without rank designation, but a few sleuths realized the "J" was a
      script "I" and it must be him. Thus illustrating the reason why there
      is no Company J in the military at that time.

      Tom;

      Was Avery killed at Sharpsbug or at Gettysburg?

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 24, 2007
        Tom;

        Thanks. So he is the famous Avery who wrote the note about dying
        with his face to the enemy on the evening of day 2 at Gettysburg?

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 24, 2007
          Yes. Evidently he was brought along with the wagon train and then
          buried here in the county, moved to Rose hill later.

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 24, 2007
            Hmmm..... wonder when buried at Rose Hill? So his body would have
            been part of that great wagon train on the retreat...

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 24, 2007
              Yes I think so, but that is about all the details I recall off the top
              of my head.

              Hmmm..... wonder when buried at Rose Hill? So his body would have
              been part of that great wagon train on the retreat...

              > Yes. Evidently he was brought along with the wagon train and
              > then
              > buried here in the county, moved to Rose hill later.
              >
              > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

              > Tom;
              >
              > Thanks. So he is the famous Avery who wrote the note about
              > dying
              > with his face to the enemy on the evening of day 2 at
              > Gettysburg?

              > from

            • barringer63
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 24, 2007
                Gerry Mayers wrote:

                > Tom;
                >
                > Thanks. So he is the famous Avery who wrote the note about dying
                > with his face to the enemy on the evening of day 2 at Gettysburg?

                From "The Bloody Sixth: The Sixth North Carolina Regiment
                Confederate States of America" by Richard W. Iobst: "During the
                charge on East Cemetery Hill the Sixth Regiment and Hoke's brigade
                lost one of its most valuable officers. Isaac E. Avery fell mortally
                wounded with a bullet through the neck. Avery had been out in front,
                leading his men on a white horse, the only mounted officer in the
                charge. A musket ball had hit him on the right side at the base of
                his neck. According to an historian of the Avery family, 'It had
                burrowed its way through the great blood vessels and nerves that
                supply the upper extremity. He was stunned by the fall; his right arm
                went limp. Slow exsanguination set in...And there he died--Isaac
                Erwin Avery--a Citizen Soldier who bled to death on the field of
                battle and now rests in an unknown soldiers' grave.'
                "As Avery lay, slowly dying on a rocky Pennsylvania hillside, he
                remembered his parents, his birthplace at Swan Ponds, and the
                tradition from whence he came. Somehow the strength came to him to
                take out pencil and paper and write a message of pride and great
                relief to Major Tate, now commander of the regiment and another Burke
                County man: "Major, tell my father I died with my face to the enemy,
                I.E. Avery."

                "Col. Avery, a gallant officer, fell in front of the heights,
                mortally wounded, he died 30 hours afterward."

                According to this regimental history, Avery was wounded late in
                the afternoon/early evening of July 2 and died some 30 hours later,
                making the time of death sometime early on the morning of July 4.
                Iobst wrote that Hoke's Brigade began its march back toward Virginia
                in a pouring rain at dawn on the morning of July 5. If the time frame
                is correct, then Avery had already been dead for approximately 24
                hours. Wonder why he wasn't buried at Gettysburg?

                Teej
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 25, 2007
                  Teej,
                  I really don't recall the details of his death, my information source
                  dealt mostly with a "J Avery" in the cemetery and a missing body of "I
                  Avery" and figuring out the connection. The wagon train carrying the
                  wounded left on the morning of the 4th, in fact very early on the
                  morning, he may have been part of that.

                • Harry Smeltzer
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 25, 2007
                    Accounts I have read say his body was taken by a family "servant" to either Williamsport or "near or in the cemetery at Ball's Bluff" where it was first buried before being taken to Hagerstown.
                    Harry

                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 25, 2007
                      Note #77 on page 461 of Kent Brown's "Retreat form Gettysburg" says that
                      "although the newspaper [Raleigh News-Observer-Chronicle] states that Elijah
                      [his slave] took Avery's body back to North Carolina, it was actually buried
                      in Williamsport. The remains were later exhumed and reinterred in the
                      Confederate section of Rose Hill Cemetery in Hagerstown." The source for
                      this is on page 53 of Oden Bowie's "A Descriptive List of the Burial Places
                      of the Remains of Confederate Soldiers Whi Fell in the Batles of Antietam,
                      South Mountain, Monocacy, and Other Points in Washington and Frederick
                      Counties in the State of Maryland." This book was published by the Free
                      Press of Hagerstown in 1867.

                      Brown says Elijah realized the remains would not last in the heat and rain,
                      and so buried them in Riverview Cemetery near the casualties of the
                      wagoners' fight. I wonder if Elijah continued on "home".

                      Harry

                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 25, 2007
                        Thanks Harry. I think that source was used by Steve Stottelmyer when he
                        did his book. Some of the story is in there, IIRC.