Feedback Requested - Antieam - A watershed of Blood

  • Darmok4349@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 22, 2007
      All,

      I don't post much on this list, but I do read all of the posts I see. I am a
      member of the Rocky Mountain Civil War Round Table, and we visited Antietam
      last spring.

      I always do a short movie of the battlefields I go to and did one on
      Antietam as well. I posted my movie on You Tube and would love to get some feedback
      if you have time.

      It is in seven parts because you can only post videos of a certain size on
      that site. Please make sure you watch them in order.

      _http://www.youtube.com/user/darmok4349_
      (http://www.youtube.com/user/darmok4349)

      Thanks in advance,

      Mike

    • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 25, 2007
        Mike,

        I enjoyed your work. While I expected a more detailed account of the battle, you did present a good overview of the campaign.

        Bill Christen

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 25, 2007
          Elevating a Battle Site From a Historical Footnote

          By Linda Wheeler

          10/14/2007

          Washington Post (DC)

          http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-
          dyn/content/article/2007/10/09/AR2007100902500.html

          When discussing the Battle of Shepherdstown, Edward and Carol Dunleavy
          would often get the same response: "The battle of what?"

          But after three years of lectures, rallies and fundraisers to help
          preserve the West Virginia battlefield, the Dunleavys say they believe
          the
          1862 skirmish, known as the last battle of Robert E. Lee's Maryland
          Campaign, might finally be getting its place in history.

          Edward Dunleavy, president of the Shepherdstown Battlefield Preservation
          Association, and Carol Dunleavy, its secretary and webmaster, said their
          group originally formed to stop proposed residential development of the
          battlefield because it would be inconsistent with the rural character of
          that part of Jefferson County.

          But the association's mission soon grew to include getting recognition
          and
          protection for the battlefield, which is about 1.5 miles southeast of
          Shepherdstown and includes a 200-year-old brick house, high bluffs
          overlooking the Potomac River and the remains of an 1850s cement factory
          on the shoreline.

          The association's efforts got the attention of U.S. Sen. Robert C. Byrd
          (D-
          W.Va.), who introduced legislation last month to request a study by the
          National Park Service to determine the suitability and feasibility of
          including the battlefield in the national Civil War battlefield system.

          "There are 300 acres in the core battlefield, and we've already saved 84
          acres through easements," Edward Dunleavy said. "We intend for the site
          be preserved as a park."

          The Shepherdstown battle, which played out Sept. 19 and 20 in 1862, has
          never received much attention because it occurred after the cataclysmic
          Battle of Antietam on the 17th. The Shepherdstown battle is sometimes
          called the Battle of Boteler's Ford or Pack Horse Ford, referring to the
          place where the armies crossed the Potomac.

          The Army of Northern Virginia was in retreat from Antietam and headed
          toward the perceived safety of Virginia. At the time, Shepherdstown was
          in
          Virginia, a state that had seceded from the Union. In less than a year,
          Sheperdstown would be part of the new state of West Virginia, a Union
          stronghold.

          Lee sat on horseback in the middle of the river, watching the last of
          his
          exhausted troops cross into Virginia at dawn Sept. 19. At that moment,
          he
          might not have expected the ever-cautious Gen. George B. McClellan to
          pursue him, but the Army of the Potomac caught up with the Army of
          Northern Virginia about three hours later.

          Brig. Gen. William Nelson Pendleton had the artillery cover of 33
          cannons
          in place on the bluff above the river to guard the ford when Maj. Gen.
          Fitz John Porter's V Corps came into sight on the Maryland side. Seventy
          Union cannons were soon arrayed against the Confederates, who were
          forced
          to fall back. Some Union artillery shells crashed into houses in
          Shepherdstown, causing panic among the residents.

          A small infantry detachment crossed the river and seized several of
          Pendleton's guns before crossing back over the river for the night.

          The next morning, the Union men crossed the river again and climbed the
          bluffs, and an infantry battle ensued around the brick house. The Union
          forces were outnumbered 2 to 1, and a retreat was called, with some of
          the
          soldiers dying as they fell down the steep bluffs under Confederate
          fire.

          The battle and retreat took place over four hours. Approximately 900 men
          were involved, with more than 600 casualties. The Army of the Potomac
          returned to Maryland, and the Confederates retreated farther into the
          Shenandoah Valley.

          The battlefield is a serene place now. The ford and a ruined dam built
          for
          the cement factory are visible, and anglers use them to fish. Trees
          growing on what was the factory floor are framed by broken walls of
          hand-
          cut stone blocks. The rugged bluffs that rise above are a challenge to
          an
          experienced climber. At the top, the ground levels off into soybean
          fields
          and wooded areas.

          The old farmhouse, now a rental property, shows the marks of battle. A
          cannonball protrudes from the brick wall on the second floor, just
          below a
          bedroom window.

          Linda Wheeler may be reached at 540-465-8934 or cwwheel@....
        • Darmok4349@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 25, 2007
            Bill,

            Thanks for your feedback. I have done several of these movies over the years and this has always been an issue for me. I have always found it difficult to go into a lot of details on the battle itself. The basic concept of the film was to do a basic overview of the entire campaign and it's political implications and how it changed the the area around Sharpsburg from this anonymous piece of landscape to and American icon.