Re: Biv Whack

    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
      Steve,

      The OED I have shows "bivouacked" as the only spelling for the verb--
      pg 888. I do not see the other spelling there at all. I see
      also "bivouacking" there--1861 quote which seems to be accepted but
      also "bivouacing" is shown in 1809 & 1812 quotes. The Shorter OED
      shows "ck" for the verb form. The Webster's Unabridged I have
      shows "ck" for every form of the verb except for "bivouacks"
      and "bivouacs." Based on the two OED's and Webster's I agree with all
      who suggest the "k" for the verb use. The OED shows many earlier
      (1700's) spellings, however.