Re: [TalkAntietam] shovels for Biv Whack and earthworks

    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
      Dave;

      IIRC from what I read recently in Civil War Historian, they look
      much the same as those of today but the handles are slightly
      different.

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
        Steve,

        The OED I have shows "bivouacked" as the only spelling for the verb--
        pg 888. I do not see the other spelling there at all. I see
        also "bivouacking" there--1861 quote which seems to be accepted but
        also "bivouacing" is shown in 1809 & 1812 quotes. The Shorter OED
        shows "ck" for the verb form. The Webster's Unabridged I have
        shows "ck" for every form of the verb except for "bivouacks"
        and "bivouacs." Based on the two OED's and Webster's I agree with all
        who suggest the "k" for the verb use. The OED shows many earlier
        (1700's) spellings, however.