RE: [TalkAntietam] shovels for Biv Whack and earthworks

  • david lynn reedy
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
      to everyone i am trying to find resoucre material on what types of hand held shovels were used ca. 1800 to 1899

      thanksz much

      dave reedy

      Harry Smeltzer <hjs21@...> wrote:
      Just so everyone knows, Spell Check was OK with the sentence I wrote. It
      does not like the word bivouack, however.

      Harry

      From: TalkAntietam@ <mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
        Dave;

        IIRC from what I read recently in Civil War Historian, they look
        much the same as those of today but the handles are slightly
        different.

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
          Steve,

          The OED I have shows "bivouacked" as the only spelling for the verb--
          pg 888. I do not see the other spelling there at all. I see
          also "bivouacking" there--1861 quote which seems to be accepted but
          also "bivouacing" is shown in 1809 & 1812 quotes. The Shorter OED
          shows "ck" for the verb form. The Webster's Unabridged I have
          shows "ck" for every form of the verb except for "bivouacks"
          and "bivouacs." Based on the two OED's and Webster's I agree with all
          who suggest the "k" for the verb use. The OED shows many earlier
          (1700's) spellings, however.