RE: [TalkAntietam] Biv Whack

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
      Just so everyone knows, Spell Check was OK with the sentence I wrote. It
      does not like the word bivouack, however.

      Harry

      From: TalkAntietam@ <mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
        to everyone i am trying to find resoucre material on what types of hand held shovels were used ca. 1800 to 1899

        thanksz much

        dave reedy

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
          Dave;

          IIRC from what I read recently in Civil War Historian, they look
          much the same as those of today but the handles are slightly
          different.

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
            Steve,

            The OED I have shows "bivouacked" as the only spelling for the verb--
            pg 888. I do not see the other spelling there at all. I see
            also "bivouacking" there--1861 quote which seems to be accepted but
            also "bivouacing" is shown in 1809 & 1812 quotes. The Shorter OED
            shows "ck" for the verb form. The Webster's Unabridged I have
            shows "ck" for every form of the verb except for "bivouacks"
            and "bivouacs." Based on the two OED's and Webster's I agree with all
            who suggest the "k" for the verb use. The OED shows many earlier
            (1700's) spellings, however.