RE: [TalkAntietam] Biv Whack

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
      I think the K is only used for the past tense. That is, "We bivouacked
      here" versus "We shall bivouac here".

      Harry

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
        Just so everyone knows, Spell Check was OK with the sentence I wrote. It
        does not like the word bivouack, however.

        Harry

        I think the K is only used for the past tense. That is, "We bivouacked
        here" versus "We shall bivouac here".

        Harry

        Thanks. I found it without the k last night on some online dictionary,
        but can't find it now. Maybe it was a dream.

        I found 9,850 hits for it without the k on google.com. Hmm.

        -sjr

        On Wednesday, October 10, 2007, at 08:15 AM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

        > Several on-line dictionaries all agreed that it should have the K for
        > past tense. I do not have access to OED right now.

      • david lynn reedy
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
          to everyone i am trying to find resoucre material on what types of hand held shovels were used ca. 1800 to 1899

          thanksz much

          dave reedy

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
            Dave;

            IIRC from what I read recently in Civil War Historian, they look
            much the same as those of today but the handles are slightly
            different.

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
              Steve,

              The OED I have shows "bivouacked" as the only spelling for the verb--
              pg 888. I do not see the other spelling there at all. I see
              also "bivouacking" there--1861 quote which seems to be accepted but
              also "bivouacing" is shown in 1809 & 1812 quotes. The Shorter OED
              shows "ck" for the verb form. The Webster's Unabridged I have
              shows "ck" for every form of the verb except for "bivouacks"
              and "bivouacs." Based on the two OED's and Webster's I agree with all
              who suggest the "k" for the verb use. The OED shows many earlier
              (1700's) spellings, however.