Re: [TalkAntietam] Biv Whack

    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
      Several on-line dictionaries all agreed that it should have the K for
      past tense. I do not have access to OED right now.

      >>> Stephen Recker <recker@...> 10/9/2007 11:58 PM

      Is it bivouaced or bivouacked? I see it both ways. Is one the older
      version? Thanks.

      -sjr
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
        Thanks. I found it without the k last night on some online dictionary,
        but can't find it now. Maybe it was a dream.

        I found 9,850 hits for it without the k on google.com. Hmm.

        -sjr

        On Wednesday, October 10, 2007, at 08:15 AM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

        > Several on-line dictionaries all agreed that it should have the K for
        > past tense. I do not have access to OED right now.

      • Harry Smeltzer
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
          I think the K is only used for the past tense. That is, "We bivouacked
          here" versus "We shall bivouac here".

          Harry

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
            Just so everyone knows, Spell Check was OK with the sentence I wrote. It
            does not like the word bivouack, however.

            Harry

            I think the K is only used for the past tense. That is, "We bivouacked
            here" versus "We shall bivouac here".

            Harry

            Thanks. I found it without the k last night on some online dictionary,
            but can't find it now. Maybe it was a dream.

            I found 9,850 hits for it without the k on google.com. Hmm.

            -sjr

            On Wednesday, October 10, 2007, at 08:15 AM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

            > Several on-line dictionaries all agreed that it should have the K for
            > past tense. I do not have access to OED right now.

          • david lynn reedy
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
              to everyone i am trying to find resoucre material on what types of hand held shovels were used ca. 1800 to 1899

              thanksz much

              dave reedy

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
                Dave;

                IIRC from what I read recently in Civil War Historian, they look
                much the same as those of today but the handles are slightly
                different.

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
                  Steve,

                  The OED I have shows "bivouacked" as the only spelling for the verb--
                  pg 888. I do not see the other spelling there at all. I see
                  also "bivouacking" there--1861 quote which seems to be accepted but
                  also "bivouacing" is shown in 1809 & 1812 quotes. The Shorter OED
                  shows "ck" for the verb form. The Webster's Unabridged I have
                  shows "ck" for every form of the verb except for "bivouacks"
                  and "bivouacs." Based on the two OED's and Webster's I agree with all
                  who suggest the "k" for the verb use. The OED shows many earlier
                  (1700's) spellings, however.