Re: [TalkAntietam] Biv Whack

    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 9, 2007
      Stephen,

      I think bivouacked is the older version. If you have a copy of
      Billings' book Hardtack and Coffee handy, you might want to check
      there.

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
        Several on-line dictionaries all agreed that it should have the K for
        past tense. I do not have access to OED right now.

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
          Thanks. I found it without the k last night on some online dictionary,
          but can't find it now. Maybe it was a dream.

          I found 9,850 hits for it without the k on google.com. Hmm.

          -sjr

          On Wednesday, October 10, 2007, at 08:15 AM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

          > Several on-line dictionaries all agreed that it should have the K for
          > past tense. I do not have access to OED right now.

        • Harry Smeltzer
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
            I think the K is only used for the past tense. That is, "We bivouacked
            here" versus "We shall bivouac here".

            Harry

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
              Just so everyone knows, Spell Check was OK with the sentence I wrote. It
              does not like the word bivouack, however.

              Harry

              I think the K is only used for the past tense. That is, "We bivouacked
              here" versus "We shall bivouac here".

              Harry

              Thanks. I found it without the k last night on some online dictionary,
              but can't find it now. Maybe it was a dream.

              I found 9,850 hits for it without the k on google.com. Hmm.

              -sjr

              On Wednesday, October 10, 2007, at 08:15 AM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

              > Several on-line dictionaries all agreed that it should have the K for
              > past tense. I do not have access to OED right now.

            • david lynn reedy
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
                to everyone i am trying to find resoucre material on what types of hand held shovels were used ca. 1800 to 1899

                thanksz much

                dave reedy

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
                  Dave;

                  IIRC from what I read recently in Civil War Historian, they look
                  much the same as those of today but the handles are slightly
                  different.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
                    Steve,

                    The OED I have shows "bivouacked" as the only spelling for the verb--
                    pg 888. I do not see the other spelling there at all. I see
                    also "bivouacking" there--1861 quote which seems to be accepted but
                    also "bivouacing" is shown in 1809 & 1812 quotes. The Shorter OED
                    shows "ck" for the verb form. The Webster's Unabridged I have
                    shows "ck" for every form of the verb except for "bivouacks"
                    and "bivouacs." Based on the two OED's and Webster's I agree with all
                    who suggest the "k" for the verb use. The OED shows many earlier
                    (1700's) spellings, however.