Biv Whack

    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 9, 2007
      Is it bivouaced or bivouacked? I see it both ways. Is one the older
      version? Thanks.

      -sjr
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 9, 2007
        Stephen,

        I think bivouacked is the older version. If you have a copy of
        Billings' book Hardtack and Coffee handy, you might want to check
        there.

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
          Several on-line dictionaries all agreed that it should have the K for
          past tense. I do not have access to OED right now.

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
            Thanks. I found it without the k last night on some online dictionary,
            but can't find it now. Maybe it was a dream.

            I found 9,850 hits for it without the k on google.com. Hmm.

            -sjr

            On Wednesday, October 10, 2007, at 08:15 AM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

            > Several on-line dictionaries all agreed that it should have the K for
            > past tense. I do not have access to OED right now.

          • Harry Smeltzer
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
              I think the K is only used for the past tense. That is, "We bivouacked
              here" versus "We shall bivouac here".

              Harry

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
                Just so everyone knows, Spell Check was OK with the sentence I wrote. It
                does not like the word bivouack, however.

                Harry

                I think the K is only used for the past tense. That is, "We bivouacked
                here" versus "We shall bivouac here".

                Harry

                Thanks. I found it without the k last night on some online dictionary,
                but can't find it now. Maybe it was a dream.

                I found 9,850 hits for it without the k on google.com. Hmm.

                -sjr

                On Wednesday, October 10, 2007, at 08:15 AM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

                > Several on-line dictionaries all agreed that it should have the K for
                > past tense. I do not have access to OED right now.

              • david lynn reedy
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
                  to everyone i am trying to find resoucre material on what types of hand held shovels were used ca. 1800 to 1899

                  thanksz much

                  dave reedy

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
                    Dave;

                    IIRC from what I read recently in Civil War Historian, they look
                    much the same as those of today but the handles are slightly
                    different.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
                      Steve,

                      The OED I have shows "bivouacked" as the only spelling for the verb--
                      pg 888. I do not see the other spelling there at all. I see
                      also "bivouacking" there--1861 quote which seems to be accepted but
                      also "bivouacing" is shown in 1809 & 1812 quotes. The Shorter OED
                      shows "ck" for the verb form. The Webster's Unabridged I have
                      shows "ck" for every form of the verb except for "bivouacks"
                      and "bivouacs." Based on the two OED's and Webster's I agree with all
                      who suggest the "k" for the verb use. The OED shows many earlier
                      (1700's) spellings, however.