Re: [TalkAntietam] found the articles

    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
      Yes, a family friend in Maine sent me a clip from a Maine newspaper, maybe the same one.

      I gave a tour today from a guy from Maine who found the article in a
      paper up his way. Tom sure gets around!

      -sjr

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 9, 2007
        Is it bivouaced or bivouacked? I see it both ways. Is one the older
        version? Thanks.

        -sjr
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 9, 2007
          Stephen,

          I think bivouacked is the older version. If you have a copy of
          Billings' book Hardtack and Coffee handy, you might want to check
          there.

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
            Several on-line dictionaries all agreed that it should have the K for
            past tense. I do not have access to OED right now.

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
              Thanks. I found it without the k last night on some online dictionary,
              but can't find it now. Maybe it was a dream.

              I found 9,850 hits for it without the k on google.com. Hmm.

              -sjr

              On Wednesday, October 10, 2007, at 08:15 AM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

              > Several on-line dictionaries all agreed that it should have the K for
              > past tense. I do not have access to OED right now.

            • Harry Smeltzer
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
                I think the K is only used for the past tense. That is, "We bivouacked
                here" versus "We shall bivouac here".

                Harry

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
                  Just so everyone knows, Spell Check was OK with the sentence I wrote. It
                  does not like the word bivouack, however.

                  Harry

                  I think the K is only used for the past tense. That is, "We bivouacked
                  here" versus "We shall bivouac here".

                  Harry

                  Thanks. I found it without the k last night on some online dictionary,
                  but can't find it now. Maybe it was a dream.

                  I found 9,850 hits for it without the k on google.com. Hmm.

                  -sjr

                  On Wednesday, October 10, 2007, at 08:15 AM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

                  > Several on-line dictionaries all agreed that it should have the K for
                  > past tense. I do not have access to OED right now.

                • david lynn reedy
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
                    to everyone i am trying to find resoucre material on what types of hand held shovels were used ca. 1800 to 1899

                    thanksz much

                    dave reedy

                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
                      Dave;

                      IIRC from what I read recently in Civil War Historian, they look
                      much the same as those of today but the handles are slightly
                      different.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
                        Steve,

                        The OED I have shows "bivouacked" as the only spelling for the verb--
                        pg 888. I do not see the other spelling there at all. I see
                        also "bivouacking" there--1861 quote which seems to be accepted but
                        also "bivouacing" is shown in 1809 & 1812 quotes. The Shorter OED
                        shows "ck" for the verb form. The Webster's Unabridged I have
                        shows "ck" for every form of the verb except for "bivouacks"
                        and "bivouacs." Based on the two OED's and Webster's I agree with all
                        who suggest the "k" for the verb use. The OED shows many earlier
                        (1700's) spellings, however.