Re: [TalkAntietam] found the articles

    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 7, 2007
      I gave a tour today from a guy from Maine who found the article in a
      paper up his way. Tom sure gets around!

      -sjr

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
        Yes, a family friend in Maine sent me a clip from a Maine newspaper, maybe the same one.

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 9, 2007
          Is it bivouaced or bivouacked? I see it both ways. Is one the older
          version? Thanks.

          -sjr
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 9, 2007
            Stephen,

            I think bivouacked is the older version. If you have a copy of
            Billings' book Hardtack and Coffee handy, you might want to check
            there.

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
              Several on-line dictionaries all agreed that it should have the K for
              past tense. I do not have access to OED right now.

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
                Thanks. I found it without the k last night on some online dictionary,
                but can't find it now. Maybe it was a dream.

                I found 9,850 hits for it without the k on google.com. Hmm.

                -sjr

                On Wednesday, October 10, 2007, at 08:15 AM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

                > Several on-line dictionaries all agreed that it should have the K for
                > past tense. I do not have access to OED right now.

              • Harry Smeltzer
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
                  I think the K is only used for the past tense. That is, "We bivouacked
                  here" versus "We shall bivouac here".

                  Harry

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
                    Just so everyone knows, Spell Check was OK with the sentence I wrote. It
                    does not like the word bivouack, however.

                    Harry

                    I think the K is only used for the past tense. That is, "We bivouacked
                    here" versus "We shall bivouac here".

                    Harry

                    Thanks. I found it without the k last night on some online dictionary,
                    but can't find it now. Maybe it was a dream.

                    I found 9,850 hits for it without the k on google.com. Hmm.

                    -sjr

                    On Wednesday, October 10, 2007, at 08:15 AM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

                    > Several on-line dictionaries all agreed that it should have the K for
                    > past tense. I do not have access to OED right now.

                  • david lynn reedy
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
                      to everyone i am trying to find resoucre material on what types of hand held shovels were used ca. 1800 to 1899

                      thanksz much

                      dave reedy

                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
                        Dave;

                        IIRC from what I read recently in Civil War Historian, they look
                        much the same as those of today but the handles are slightly
                        different.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
                          Steve,

                          The OED I have shows "bivouacked" as the only spelling for the verb--
                          pg 888. I do not see the other spelling there at all. I see
                          also "bivouacking" there--1861 quote which seems to be accepted but
                          also "bivouacing" is shown in 1809 & 1812 quotes. The Shorter OED
                          shows "ck" for the verb form. The Webster's Unabridged I have
                          shows "ck" for every form of the verb except for "bivouacks"
                          and "bivouacs." Based on the two OED's and Webster's I agree with all
                          who suggest the "k" for the verb use. The OED shows many earlier
                          (1700's) spellings, however.