Re: [TalkAntietam] found the articles

    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 7, 2007
      Thanks Paula. That AP story has run all over the place, and happily is
      helping a lot with business. The guides are getting more work, which is
      good.

      >>> <128thpa@...> 10/07/07 9:00 AM >>>
      Here it is:
      http://www.ajc.com/travel/content/travel/southeast/va_stories/2007/09/28/trbattlefield_0928.html

      Paula

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 7, 2007
        I gave a tour today from a guy from Maine who found the article in a
        paper up his way. Tom sure gets around!

        -sjr

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
          Yes, a family friend in Maine sent me a clip from a Maine newspaper, maybe the same one.

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 9, 2007
            Is it bivouaced or bivouacked? I see it both ways. Is one the older
            version? Thanks.

            -sjr
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 9, 2007
              Stephen,

              I think bivouacked is the older version. If you have a copy of
              Billings' book Hardtack and Coffee handy, you might want to check
              there.

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
                Several on-line dictionaries all agreed that it should have the K for
                past tense. I do not have access to OED right now.

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
                  Thanks. I found it without the k last night on some online dictionary,
                  but can't find it now. Maybe it was a dream.

                  I found 9,850 hits for it without the k on google.com. Hmm.

                  -sjr

                  On Wednesday, October 10, 2007, at 08:15 AM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

                  > Several on-line dictionaries all agreed that it should have the K for
                  > past tense. I do not have access to OED right now.

                • Harry Smeltzer
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
                    I think the K is only used for the past tense. That is, "We bivouacked
                    here" versus "We shall bivouac here".

                    Harry

                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
                      Just so everyone knows, Spell Check was OK with the sentence I wrote. It
                      does not like the word bivouack, however.

                      Harry

                      I think the K is only used for the past tense. That is, "We bivouacked
                      here" versus "We shall bivouac here".

                      Harry

                      Thanks. I found it without the k last night on some online dictionary,
                      but can't find it now. Maybe it was a dream.

                      I found 9,850 hits for it without the k on google.com. Hmm.

                      -sjr

                      On Wednesday, October 10, 2007, at 08:15 AM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

                      > Several on-line dictionaries all agreed that it should have the K for
                      > past tense. I do not have access to OED right now.

                    • david lynn reedy
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
                        to everyone i am trying to find resoucre material on what types of hand held shovels were used ca. 1800 to 1899

                        thanksz much

                        dave reedy

                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
                          Dave;

                          IIRC from what I read recently in Civil War Historian, they look
                          much the same as those of today but the handles are slightly
                          different.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
                            Steve,

                            The OED I have shows "bivouacked" as the only spelling for the verb--
                            pg 888. I do not see the other spelling there at all. I see
                            also "bivouacking" there--1861 quote which seems to be accepted but
                            also "bivouacing" is shown in 1809 & 1812 quotes. The Shorter OED
                            shows "ck" for the verb form. The Webster's Unabridged I have
                            shows "ck" for every form of the verb except for "bivouacks"
                            and "bivouacs." Based on the two OED's and Webster's I agree with all
                            who suggest the "k" for the verb use. The OED shows many earlier
                            (1700's) spellings, however.