found the articles

  • 128thpa@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 7, 2007
      Here it is: http://www.ajc.com/travel/content/travel/southeast/va_stories/2007/09/28/trbattlefield_0928.html

      Paula

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 7, 2007
        Thanks Paula. That AP story has run all over the place, and happily is
        helping a lot with business. The guides are getting more work, which is
        good.

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 7, 2007
          I gave a tour today from a guy from Maine who found the article in a
          paper up his way. Tom sure gets around!

          -sjr

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
            Yes, a family friend in Maine sent me a clip from a Maine newspaper, maybe the same one.

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 9, 2007
              Is it bivouaced or bivouacked? I see it both ways. Is one the older
              version? Thanks.

              -sjr
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 9, 2007
                Stephen,

                I think bivouacked is the older version. If you have a copy of
                Billings' book Hardtack and Coffee handy, you might want to check
                there.

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
                  Several on-line dictionaries all agreed that it should have the K for
                  past tense. I do not have access to OED right now.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
                    Thanks. I found it without the k last night on some online dictionary,
                    but can't find it now. Maybe it was a dream.

                    I found 9,850 hits for it without the k on google.com. Hmm.

                    -sjr

                    On Wednesday, October 10, 2007, at 08:15 AM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

                    > Several on-line dictionaries all agreed that it should have the K for
                    > past tense. I do not have access to OED right now.

                  • Harry Smeltzer
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
                      I think the K is only used for the past tense. That is, "We bivouacked
                      here" versus "We shall bivouac here".

                      Harry

                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
                        Just so everyone knows, Spell Check was OK with the sentence I wrote. It
                        does not like the word bivouack, however.

                        Harry

                        I think the K is only used for the past tense. That is, "We bivouacked
                        here" versus "We shall bivouac here".

                        Harry

                        Thanks. I found it without the k last night on some online dictionary,
                        but can't find it now. Maybe it was a dream.

                        I found 9,850 hits for it without the k on google.com. Hmm.

                        -sjr

                        On Wednesday, October 10, 2007, at 08:15 AM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

                        > Several on-line dictionaries all agreed that it should have the K for
                        > past tense. I do not have access to OED right now.

                      • david lynn reedy
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
                          to everyone i am trying to find resoucre material on what types of hand held shovels were used ca. 1800 to 1899

                          thanksz much

                          dave reedy

                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
                            Dave;

                            IIRC from what I read recently in Civil War Historian, they look
                            much the same as those of today but the handles are slightly
                            different.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
                              Steve,

                              The OED I have shows "bivouacked" as the only spelling for the verb--
                              pg 888. I do not see the other spelling there at all. I see
                              also "bivouacking" there--1861 quote which seems to be accepted but
                              also "bivouacing" is shown in 1809 & 1812 quotes. The Shorter OED
                              shows "ck" for the verb form. The Webster's Unabridged I have
                              shows "ck" for every form of the verb except for "bivouacks"
                              and "bivouacs." Based on the two OED's and Webster's I agree with all
                              who suggest the "k" for the verb use. The OED shows many earlier
                              (1700's) spellings, however.