Re: road net

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 6, 2007
      Jake,

      I'm sure you already looked at the official atlas where on plate XXIX
      on a 1867 map the road is called "Sharpsburg & Boonsborough
      Turnpike." On other old maps I have on a CD, it is also called
      the "Boonsboro Turnpike" or the "Sharpsburg and Boonsboro Pike." And
      the maps show the road going thru Keedysville. None of the several
      maps I looked at including the CC maps show "Keedysville Road"
      however--is there one that calls it that? Hope your indexing is
      going well!

      Larry

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Pierro
      <joseph_pierro@...> wrote:

      > That's what I figured. You get that in a lot of instances in the
      war. (The road due west of out Gettysburg is the Cashtown Road -- or
      the Chambersburg Road, depending on how far west you want to take it.)

      > Thanks, Stephen!
      >
      > --jgp

      Sharpsburg
      > used to go right though the middle of Keedysville. There is now a
      > bypass - Rt. 34.
      >
      > I've been reading about the building of the road from Antietam
      Station
      > to the Antietam National Cemetery. Interestingly, they called it
      the
      > National road. I'm guessing that was a generic term used because it
      was
      > a government road, which was a big deal at the time (1889).
      >
      > Stephen
      >
      > On Friday, October 5, 2007, at 08:10 PM, joseph_pierro wrote:
      >
      > > Quick question: Am I correct in my understanding that the
      Sharpsburg-
      > > Keedysville Road is the SAME roadway as the Boonsboro-Sharpsbur g
      > > Road/Pike? (Keedysville is the intermediate point between the
      two,
      > > yes?)
      > >
      > > I'm trying to decide how to write an index entry.
      > >
      > > Many thanks!
      > >
      > > --jake

    • Joseph Pierro
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 6, 2007
        I've never seen it as such on a map. In Carman's manuscript, however, when dealing with the advances of the Fifth and Ninth Corps later in the day, he starts referring to Boonsboro Road as the Keedysville Road (understanble, since none of the action at that point in his narrative happens east of Keedysville).