Re: [TalkAntietam] road net

  • Joseph Pierro
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2007
      That's what I figured. You get that in a lot of instances in the war. (The road due west of out Gettysburg is the Cashtown Road -- or the Chambersburg Road, depending on how far west you want to take it.)

      Thanks, Stephen!

      --jgp

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 6, 2007
        Jake,

        I'm sure you already looked at the official atlas where on plate XXIX
        on a 1867 map the road is called "Sharpsburg & Boonsborough
        Turnpike." On other old maps I have on a CD, it is also called
        the "Boonsboro Turnpike" or the "Sharpsburg and Boonsboro Pike." And
        the maps show the road going thru Keedysville. None of the several
        maps I looked at including the CC maps show "Keedysville Road"
        however--is there one that calls it that? Hope your indexing is
        going well!

        Larry

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Pierro
        <joseph_pierro@...> wrote:

        > That's what I figured. You get that in a lot of instances in the
        war. (The road due west of out Gettysburg is the Cashtown Road -- or
        the Chambersburg Road, depending on how far west you want to take it.)

        > Thanks, Stephen!
        >
        > --jgp

      • Joseph Pierro
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 6, 2007
          I've never seen it as such on a map. In Carman's manuscript, however, when dealing with the advances of the Fifth and Ninth Corps later in the day, he starts referring to Boonsboro Road as the Keedysville Road (understanble, since none of the action at that point in his narrative happens east of Keedysville).