Re: [TalkAntietam] road net

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2007
      Jake,

      IMHO, they are the same road. The old road from Boonsboro to Sharpsburg
      used to go right though the middle of Keedysville. There is now a
      bypass - Rt. 34.

      I've been reading about the building of the road from Antietam Station
      to the Antietam National Cemetery. Interestingly, they called it the
      National road. I'm guessing that was a generic term used because it was
      a government road, which was a big deal at the time (1889).

      Stephen

      On Friday, October 5, 2007, at 08:10 PM, joseph_pierro wrote:

      > Quick question: Am I correct in my understanding that the Sharpsburg-
      > Keedysville Road is the SAME roadway as the Boonsboro-Sharpsburg
      > Road/Pike? (Keedysville is the intermediate point between the two,
      > yes?)
      >
      > I'm trying to decide how to write an index entry.
      >
      > Many thanks!
      >
      > --jake
    • Joseph Pierro
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2007
        That's what I figured. You get that in a lot of instances in the war. (The road due west of out Gettysburg is the Cashtown Road -- or the Chambersburg Road, depending on how far west you want to take it.)

        Thanks, Stephen!

        --jgp

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 6, 2007
          Jake,

          I'm sure you already looked at the official atlas where on plate XXIX
          on a 1867 map the road is called "Sharpsburg & Boonsborough
          Turnpike." On other old maps I have on a CD, it is also called
          the "Boonsboro Turnpike" or the "Sharpsburg and Boonsboro Pike." And
          the maps show the road going thru Keedysville. None of the several
          maps I looked at including the CC maps show "Keedysville Road"
          however--is there one that calls it that? Hope your indexing is
          going well!

          Larry

          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Pierro
          <joseph_pierro@...> wrote:

          > That's what I figured. You get that in a lot of instances in the
          war. (The road due west of out Gettysburg is the Cashtown Road -- or
          the Chambersburg Road, depending on how far west you want to take it.)

          > Thanks, Stephen!
          >
          > --jgp

        • Joseph Pierro
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 6, 2007
            I've never seen it as such on a map. In Carman's manuscript, however, when dealing with the advances of the Fifth and Ninth Corps later in the day, he starts referring to Boonsboro Road as the Keedysville Road (understanble, since none of the action at that point in his narrative happens east of Keedysville).