Re: [TalkAntietam] 4th NY monument

  • Joseph Pierro
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
      Stephen:

      I searched Worldcat, LoC, NYPL. I can't even find a library seems to have a copy of the dedication pamphlet for the 4th NY monument in anyone's collection. Curious. . . .

      --jake

      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
        Steve,

        In the August 4, 1892 issue of the Herald and Torch Light (Hagerstown, MD)
        on page 2, column 2 there is an article that is headed: "FOURTH NEW YORK
        MONUMENT To be Erected in the Antietam National Cemetery." It goes on to
        talk about the projected design of the monument, monument committee,
        inscription, etc.

        Scott

        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
          Steve,

          Check that, I think it's page 3 (the page is unnumbered). In any case
          I've already emailed you the .pdf file.

          Scott
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
            Scott,

            Yes, that is the one I found that got me thinking about it. It says the
            monument was dedicated in 1892, but everywhere else I have looked -
            Charles Adam's book, the park website, virtualantietam.com (gulp -
            recently fixed), they say 1887. John Schildt's Monuments at Antietam
            doesn't mention the date. New York at Antietam doesn't mention the
            monument. I was just wondering where the rumour started about it being
            1887. Thanks.

            Stephen

            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
              Good point, Tom.

              Great talk you gave to the Hagerstown CWRT last week, BTW.

              Stephen

              On Sunday, September 30, 2007, at 07:44 AM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

              > Oh Steve! Or Lee, for that matter.

            • Tom Shay
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 19, 2007
                TO: Stephen Recker

                In regard to our upcoming min-mustoer on Friday 10-26-07....

                I plan to walk the new trail on along east side of Burnside's Bridge.
                Do you have a specific time for conducting your Final Attack tour?

                Given this is new terrain for attendees, there will be avid interest in that tour.
                Please pick a time that accomodates your schedule and we'll make the final plans accordingly.
                Also make a guesstimate at how much time the walk will take.