Re: [TalkAntietam] 4th NY monument

    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
      I don't have the Monuments book handy, but in the Administrative
      History, which I think you have, the Supt. in 1889 lists everything in
      the cemetery and made no mention of the 4th NY monument.

      >>> Stephen Recker <recker@...> 09/30/07 6:59 AM >>>
      Every where I look I see 1887 as the date of the erection of the 4th NY
      monument in the National Cemetery, but I can't find a primary source
      that agrees with that date. Does anyone know of one? Thanks.

      Stephen
    • Joseph Pierro
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
        Stephen:

        I searched Worldcat, LoC, NYPL. I can't even find a library seems to have a copy of the dedication pamphlet for the 4th NY monument in anyone's collection. Curious. . . .

        --jake

        I don't have the Monuments book handy, but in the Administrative
        History, which I think you have, the Supt. in 1889 lists everything in
        the cemetery and made no mention of the 4th NY monument.

        >>> Stephen Recker <recker@virtualgetty sburg.com> 09/30/07 6:59 AM >>>
        Every where I look I see 1887 as the date of the erection of the 4th NY
        monument in the National Cemetery, but I can't find a primary source
        that agrees with that date. Does anyone know of one? Thanks.

      • Scott Hann
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
          Steve,

          In the August 4, 1892 issue of the Herald and Torch Light (Hagerstown, MD)
          on page 2, column 2 there is an article that is headed: "FOURTH NEW YORK
          MONUMENT To be Erected in the Antietam National Cemetery." It goes on to
          talk about the projected design of the monument, monument committee,
          inscription, etc.

          Scott

          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
            Steve,

            Check that, I think it's page 3 (the page is unnumbered). In any case
            I've already emailed you the .pdf file.

            Scott
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
              Scott,

              Yes, that is the one I found that got me thinking about it. It says the
              monument was dedicated in 1892, but everywhere else I have looked -
              Charles Adam's book, the park website, virtualantietam.com (gulp -
              recently fixed), they say 1887. John Schildt's Monuments at Antietam
              doesn't mention the date. New York at Antietam doesn't mention the
              monument. I was just wondering where the rumour started about it being
              1887. Thanks.

              Stephen

              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
                Good point, Tom.

                Great talk you gave to the Hagerstown CWRT last week, BTW.

                Stephen

                On Sunday, September 30, 2007, at 07:44 AM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

                > Oh Steve! Or Lee, for that matter.

              • Tom Shay
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 19, 2007
                  TO: Stephen Recker

                  In regard to our upcoming min-mustoer on Friday 10-26-07....

                  I plan to walk the new trail on along east side of Burnside's Bridge.
                  Do you have a specific time for conducting your Final Attack tour?

                  Given this is new terrain for attendees, there will be avid interest in that tour.
                  Please pick a time that accomodates your schedule and we'll make the final plans accordingly.
                  Also make a guesstimate at how much time the walk will take.