Re: Muster at Antietam 10-26-07

    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
      Stephen,

      Did you mean 80%--the guide website
      (http://www.antietambattlefieldguides.com/index.htm) lists 5 guides.
      Or are there now 10 and the website needs to be updated? (And do you
      think Ethan Refuse may have something to say about your McClellan
      slur!)

      > On Saturday, September 29, 2007, at 09:10 AM, Tom Shay wrote:
      >
      > > Having the über-guide of Antietam lead the "Final Attack" tour
      sounds
      > > great.
      > > :)
      > >

      > Well, I am certainly not the über-guide, but I did play one on
      > television once.
      >
      > Speaking of guides, yesterday Tom Clemens, Jeff Driscoll, Bill
      Sagle

      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
        Larry,

        First off, I was being generous with Little Mac ;-)

        There are now ten active Antietam Battlefield Guides .
        Randy Buchman
        Tom Clemens
        Jeff Driscoll
        Mike Gamble
        Steve Malovich
        Justin Mayhue
        John Powell
        Stephen Recker
        Bill Sagle
        John Schildt

        Cheers,
        Stephen

        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
          Oh Steve! Or Lee, for that matter.

          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
            I don't have the Monuments book handy, but in the Administrative
            History, which I think you have, the Supt. in 1889 lists everything in
            the cemetery and made no mention of the 4th NY monument.

            >>> Stephen Recker <recker@...> 09/30/07 6:59 AM >>>
            Every where I look I see 1887 as the date of the erection of the 4th NY
            monument in the National Cemetery, but I can't find a primary source
            that agrees with that date. Does anyone know of one? Thanks.

            Stephen
          • Joseph Pierro
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
              Stephen:

              I searched Worldcat, LoC, NYPL. I can't even find a library seems to have a copy of the dedication pamphlet for the 4th NY monument in anyone's collection. Curious. . . .

              --jake

              I don't have the Monuments book handy, but in the Administrative
              History, which I think you have, the Supt. in 1889 lists everything in
              the cemetery and made no mention of the 4th NY monument.

              >>> Stephen Recker <recker@virtualgetty sburg.com> 09/30/07 6:59 AM >>>
              Every where I look I see 1887 as the date of the erection of the 4th NY
              monument in the National Cemetery, but I can't find a primary source
              that agrees with that date. Does anyone know of one? Thanks.

            • Scott Hann
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
                Steve,

                In the August 4, 1892 issue of the Herald and Torch Light (Hagerstown, MD)
                on page 2, column 2 there is an article that is headed: "FOURTH NEW YORK
                MONUMENT To be Erected in the Antietam National Cemetery." It goes on to
                talk about the projected design of the monument, monument committee,
                inscription, etc.

                Scott

                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
                  Steve,

                  Check that, I think it's page 3 (the page is unnumbered). In any case
                  I've already emailed you the .pdf file.

                  Scott
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
                    Scott,

                    Yes, that is the one I found that got me thinking about it. It says the
                    monument was dedicated in 1892, but everywhere else I have looked -
                    Charles Adam's book, the park website, virtualantietam.com (gulp -
                    recently fixed), they say 1887. John Schildt's Monuments at Antietam
                    doesn't mention the date. New York at Antietam doesn't mention the
                    monument. I was just wondering where the rumour started about it being
                    1887. Thanks.

                    Stephen

                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
                      Good point, Tom.

                      Great talk you gave to the Hagerstown CWRT last week, BTW.

                      Stephen

                      On Sunday, September 30, 2007, at 07:44 AM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

                      > Oh Steve! Or Lee, for that matter.

                    • Tom Shay
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 19, 2007
                        TO: Stephen Recker

                        In regard to our upcoming min-mustoer on Friday 10-26-07....

                        I plan to walk the new trail on along east side of Burnside's Bridge.
                        Do you have a specific time for conducting your Final Attack tour?

                        Given this is new terrain for attendees, there will be avid interest in that tour.
                        Please pick a time that accomodates your schedule and we'll make the final plans accordingly.
                        Also make a guesstimate at how much time the walk will take.