RE: [TalkAntietam] Ghost tales of Antietam?

  • Rawlings, Kevin
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 31, 2001
      There is no Ghost industry at Sharpsburg or ANB at this present time much to
      my surprise and delight.

      As far as tales of the ghostly, near anniversary date of the battle, many
      people in town have reported hearing bands playing,the clinking of tinware,
      and the tramp of hundreds of marching feet down the main street, yet when
      they look outside nary an instrument, tin cup and canteen, nor any great
      gathering of marching men can be seen.

      The Pry house is haunted by a lady in white. Not sure who she is, Mrs. Pry,
      Mrs. Richardson, or some other poor unfortunate lady of the house, she once
      scared away a gang of workmen replacing the kitchen floor while they were
      eating their lunch. She tread where no floor was currently causing a hasty
      retreat of workmen back to their shop minus their tools. Refusing to go back
      to the work site, the boss had to retreive their tools. Paul Chiles when he
      lived in the house was known to sleep with a loaded gun under his pillow so
      he would not get any surprise or caught unawares by a person or persons of
      this world or not. My own wife has been touch by the woman during a historic
      dinner party held in the Richardson Room. She is now afraid to go near the
      house.

      Some years ago a troop of Boys Scouts told of hearing some drunken
      foreigners singing in their native tongues what several boyscouts said was
      Jingle Bells. Though no one was seen trespassing on what then was private
      land, the Ranger that was told of the infraction thought about for awhile
      and realized that what they may have heard was the Gaelic shout of the Irish
      Brigade shouting "Fallah Baileah! (Clear the Way!)" from the other side
      where many of the Irish of that famed brigade fell in death suddenly.

      I can assure you there is a cold spot on the VC side of the road across from
      the Dunker Church. I have felt it and dragged my wife through without
      telling her what I was doing.

      Reporting from the haunted fields of Sharpsburg and Antietam,
      Kevin Rawlings

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 31, 2001
        In a message dated 10/31/2001 12:42:32 PM EST, kevin.rawlings@... writes:
        << There is no Ghost industry at Sharpsburg or ANB at this present time much
        to my surprise and delight >>

        Kevin, thanks for the stories. I've yet to experience the para-normal on any
        battlefield.

        I once left the Visitor Center quite aghast. Of course the shock was merely
        from the bill of my book purchases!

        Tom Shay - GO NY YANKEES!
      • Rawlings, Kevin
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 31, 2001
          Yeah, I've had that out of body experience myself also. Wilmer Mumma has a
          ghost book out on the stories in the Sharpsburg area you might look into.

          Kevin

        • Rawlings, Kevin
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 31, 2001
            Ooouuuchhh! When she stepped into the cold spot she instantly knew what I
            was up to.
            Kevin

          • Ray Ortensie
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 31, 2001
              Last time I pulled my wife through somewhere without telling her I was
              welcomed with a good hard punch to the forearm!

              Ray

              > There is no Ghost industry at Sharpsburg or ANB at this present time much
              > my surprise and delight.
              >
              > As far as tales of the ghostly, near anniversary date of the battle, many
              > people in town have reported hearing bands playing,the clinking of
              tinware,
              > and the tramp of hundreds of marching feet down the main street, yet when
              > they look outside nary an instrument, tin cup and canteen, nor any great
              > gathering of marching men can be seen.
              >
              > The Pry house is haunted by a lady in white. Not sure who she is, Mrs.
              Pry,
              > Mrs. Richardson, or some other poor unfortunate lady of the house, she
              once
              > scared away a gang of workmen replacing the kitchen floor while they were
              > eating their lunch. She tread where no floor was currently causing a hasty
              > retreat of workmen back to their shop minus their tools. Refusing to go
              back
              > to the work site, the boss had to retreive their tools. Paul Chiles when
              he
              > lived in the house was known to sleep with a loaded gun under his pillow
              so
              > he would not get any surprise or caught unawares by a person or persons of
              > this world or not. My own wife has been touch by the woman during a
              historic
              > dinner party held in the Richardson Room. She is now afraid to go near the
              > house.
              >
              > Some years ago a troop of Boys Scouts told of hearing some drunken
              > foreigners singing in their native tongues what several boyscouts said was
              > Jingle Bells. Though no one was seen trespassing on what then was private
              > land, the Ranger that was told of the infraction thought about for awhile
              > and realized that what they may have heard was the Gaelic shout of the
              Irish
              > Brigade shouting "Fallah Baileah! (Clear the Way!)" from the other side
              > where many of the Irish of that famed brigade fell in death suddenly.
              >
              > I can assure you there is a cold spot on the VC side of the road across
              from
              > the Dunker Church. I have felt it and dragged my wife through without
              > telling her what I was doing.
              >
              > Reporting from the haunted fields of Sharpsburg and Antietam,
              > Kevin Rawlings

            • David Lutton
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 31, 2001
                I do remember leaving Capt. Bender's late one night and boy did I see some
                strange sights!! I was much better in the morning though!

                David Lutton
                Hollidaysburg Pa