Re: [TalkAntietam] Muster at Antietam 10-26-07

    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
      On Saturday, September 29, 2007, at 09:10 AM, Tom Shay wrote:

      > Having the über-guide of Antietam lead the "Final Attack" tour sounds
      > great.
      > :)

      Well, I am certainly not the über-guide, but I did play one on
      television once.

      Speaking of guides, yesterday Tom Clemens, Jeff Driscoll, Bill Sagle
      and myself were on the field at the exact same time. That means that
      the Antietam Battlefield Guides had a larger percentage of their force
      in action on the field at once (40%) than McClellan ever had (25%)

      Stephen.
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
        Every where I look I see 1887 as the date of the erection of the 4th NY
        monument in the National Cemetery, but I can't find a primary source
        that agrees with that date. Does anyone know of one? Thanks.

        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
          Stephen,

          Did you mean 80%--the guide website
          (http://www.antietambattlefieldguides.com/index.htm) lists 5 guides.
          Or are there now 10 and the website needs to be updated? (And do you
          think Ethan Refuse may have something to say about your McClellan
          slur!)

          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
            Larry,

            First off, I was being generous with Little Mac ;-)

            There are now ten active Antietam Battlefield Guides .
            Randy Buchman
            Tom Clemens
            Jeff Driscoll
            Mike Gamble
            Steve Malovich
            Justin Mayhue
            John Powell
            Stephen Recker
            Bill Sagle
            John Schildt

            Cheers,
            Stephen

            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
              Oh Steve! Or Lee, for that matter.

              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
                I don't have the Monuments book handy, but in the Administrative
                History, which I think you have, the Supt. in 1889 lists everything in
                the cemetery and made no mention of the 4th NY monument.

                >>> Stephen Recker <recker@...> 09/30/07 6:59 AM >>>
                Every where I look I see 1887 as the date of the erection of the 4th NY
                monument in the National Cemetery, but I can't find a primary source
                that agrees with that date. Does anyone know of one? Thanks.

                Stephen
              • Joseph Pierro
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
                  Stephen:

                  I searched Worldcat, LoC, NYPL. I can't even find a library seems to have a copy of the dedication pamphlet for the 4th NY monument in anyone's collection. Curious. . . .

                  --jake

                  I don't have the Monuments book handy, but in the Administrative
                  History, which I think you have, the Supt. in 1889 lists everything in
                  the cemetery and made no mention of the 4th NY monument.

                  >>> Stephen Recker <recker@virtualgetty sburg.com> 09/30/07 6:59 AM >>>
                  Every where I look I see 1887 as the date of the erection of the 4th NY
                  monument in the National Cemetery, but I can't find a primary source
                  that agrees with that date. Does anyone know of one? Thanks.

                • Scott Hann
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
                    Steve,

                    In the August 4, 1892 issue of the Herald and Torch Light (Hagerstown, MD)
                    on page 2, column 2 there is an article that is headed: "FOURTH NEW YORK
                    MONUMENT To be Erected in the Antietam National Cemetery." It goes on to
                    talk about the projected design of the monument, monument committee,
                    inscription, etc.

                    Scott

                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
                      Steve,

                      Check that, I think it's page 3 (the page is unnumbered). In any case
                      I've already emailed you the .pdf file.

                      Scott
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
                        Scott,

                        Yes, that is the one I found that got me thinking about it. It says the
                        monument was dedicated in 1892, but everywhere else I have looked -
                        Charles Adam's book, the park website, virtualantietam.com (gulp -
                        recently fixed), they say 1887. John Schildt's Monuments at Antietam
                        doesn't mention the date. New York at Antietam doesn't mention the
                        monument. I was just wondering where the rumour started about it being
                        1887. Thanks.

                        Stephen

                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
                          Good point, Tom.

                          Great talk you gave to the Hagerstown CWRT last week, BTW.

                          Stephen

                          On Sunday, September 30, 2007, at 07:44 AM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

                          > Oh Steve! Or Lee, for that matter.

                        • Tom Shay
                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 19, 2007
                            TO: Stephen Recker

                            In regard to our upcoming min-mustoer on Friday 10-26-07....

                            I plan to walk the new trail on along east side of Burnside's Bridge.
                            Do you have a specific time for conducting your Final Attack tour?

                            Given this is new terrain for attendees, there will be avid interest in that tour.
                            Please pick a time that accomodates your schedule and we'll make the final plans accordingly.
                            Also make a guesstimate at how much time the walk will take.