Re: [TalkAntietam] Muster at Antietam 10-26-07

  • Tom Shay
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 29, 2007
      Having the über-guide of Antietam lead the "Final Attack" tour sounds great.
      :)

      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
        On Saturday, September 29, 2007, at 09:10 AM, Tom Shay wrote:

        > Having the über-guide of Antietam lead the "Final Attack" tour sounds
        > great.
        > :)

        Well, I am certainly not the über-guide, but I did play one on
        television once.

        Speaking of guides, yesterday Tom Clemens, Jeff Driscoll, Bill Sagle
        and myself were on the field at the exact same time. That means that
        the Antietam Battlefield Guides had a larger percentage of their force
        in action on the field at once (40%) than McClellan ever had (25%)

        Stephen.
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
          Every where I look I see 1887 as the date of the erection of the 4th NY
          monument in the National Cemetery, but I can't find a primary source
          that agrees with that date. Does anyone know of one? Thanks.

          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
            Stephen,

            Did you mean 80%--the guide website
            (http://www.antietambattlefieldguides.com/index.htm) lists 5 guides.
            Or are there now 10 and the website needs to be updated? (And do you
            think Ethan Refuse may have something to say about your McClellan
            slur!)

            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
              Larry,

              First off, I was being generous with Little Mac ;-)

              There are now ten active Antietam Battlefield Guides .
              Randy Buchman
              Tom Clemens
              Jeff Driscoll
              Mike Gamble
              Steve Malovich
              Justin Mayhue
              John Powell
              Stephen Recker
              Bill Sagle
              John Schildt

              Cheers,
              Stephen

              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
                Oh Steve! Or Lee, for that matter.

                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
                  I don't have the Monuments book handy, but in the Administrative
                  History, which I think you have, the Supt. in 1889 lists everything in
                  the cemetery and made no mention of the 4th NY monument.

                  >>> Stephen Recker <recker@...> 09/30/07 6:59 AM >>>
                  Every where I look I see 1887 as the date of the erection of the 4th NY
                  monument in the National Cemetery, but I can't find a primary source
                  that agrees with that date. Does anyone know of one? Thanks.

                  Stephen
                • Joseph Pierro
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
                    Stephen:

                    I searched Worldcat, LoC, NYPL. I can't even find a library seems to have a copy of the dedication pamphlet for the 4th NY monument in anyone's collection. Curious. . . .

                    --jake

                    I don't have the Monuments book handy, but in the Administrative
                    History, which I think you have, the Supt. in 1889 lists everything in
                    the cemetery and made no mention of the 4th NY monument.

                    >>> Stephen Recker <recker@virtualgetty sburg.com> 09/30/07 6:59 AM >>>
                    Every where I look I see 1887 as the date of the erection of the 4th NY
                    monument in the National Cemetery, but I can't find a primary source
                    that agrees with that date. Does anyone know of one? Thanks.

                  • Scott Hann
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
                      Steve,

                      In the August 4, 1892 issue of the Herald and Torch Light (Hagerstown, MD)
                      on page 2, column 2 there is an article that is headed: "FOURTH NEW YORK
                      MONUMENT To be Erected in the Antietam National Cemetery." It goes on to
                      talk about the projected design of the monument, monument committee,
                      inscription, etc.

                      Scott

                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
                        Steve,

                        Check that, I think it's page 3 (the page is unnumbered). In any case
                        I've already emailed you the .pdf file.

                        Scott
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
                          Scott,

                          Yes, that is the one I found that got me thinking about it. It says the
                          monument was dedicated in 1892, but everywhere else I have looked -
                          Charles Adam's book, the park website, virtualantietam.com (gulp -
                          recently fixed), they say 1887. John Schildt's Monuments at Antietam
                          doesn't mention the date. New York at Antietam doesn't mention the
                          monument. I was just wondering where the rumour started about it being
                          1887. Thanks.

                          Stephen

                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
                            Good point, Tom.

                            Great talk you gave to the Hagerstown CWRT last week, BTW.

                            Stephen

                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 19, 2007
                              TO: Stephen Recker

                              In regard to our upcoming min-mustoer on Friday 10-26-07....

                              I plan to walk the new trail on along east side of Burnside's Bridge.
                              Do you have a specific time for conducting your Final Attack tour?

                              Given this is new terrain for attendees, there will be avid interest in that tour.
                              Please pick a time that accomodates your schedule and we'll make the final plans accordingly.
                              Also make a guesstimate at how much time the walk will take.