Re: [TalkAntietam] Muster at Antietam 10-26-07

  • Tom Shay
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 28, 2007

      I agree Friday is not accomodating for everyone. However, by scheduling for the end of October, we're hoping this is enough notice for people to arrange their schedules. Any day on the battlefield and away from my hectic office is a good day!

      I had been trying to arrange this muster for several weeks and fInally had several people agree on the date. The autumn weather should still be decent and foliage gone. As noted, Saturday is the rain date.

      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 28, 2007
        Stephen,

        If you have any special tour that you'd like to cover, please advise me.
        Our agenda is currently open and your expertise is always welcome!

        Friday is good for me. Count me in. Thanks.

        Stephen Recker

        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 29, 2007

          Thanks for the invite. I'd love to do a tour of the Final Attack.

          Stephen

          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 29, 2007
            Having the über-guide of Antietam lead the "Final Attack" tour sounds great.
            :)

            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
              On Saturday, September 29, 2007, at 09:10 AM, Tom Shay wrote:

              > Having the über-guide of Antietam lead the "Final Attack" tour sounds
              > great.
              > :)

              Well, I am certainly not the über-guide, but I did play one on
              television once.

              Speaking of guides, yesterday Tom Clemens, Jeff Driscoll, Bill Sagle
              and myself were on the field at the exact same time. That means that
              the Antietam Battlefield Guides had a larger percentage of their force
              in action on the field at once (40%) than McClellan ever had (25%)

              Stephen.
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
                Every where I look I see 1887 as the date of the erection of the 4th NY
                monument in the National Cemetery, but I can't find a primary source
                that agrees with that date. Does anyone know of one? Thanks.

                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
                  Stephen,

                  Did you mean 80%--the guide website
                  (http://www.antietambattlefieldguides.com/index.htm) lists 5 guides.
                  Or are there now 10 and the website needs to be updated? (And do you
                  think Ethan Refuse may have something to say about your McClellan
                  slur!)

                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
                    Larry,

                    First off, I was being generous with Little Mac ;-)

                    There are now ten active Antietam Battlefield Guides .
                    Randy Buchman
                    Tom Clemens
                    Jeff Driscoll
                    Mike Gamble
                    Steve Malovich
                    Justin Mayhue
                    John Powell
                    Stephen Recker
                    Bill Sagle
                    John Schildt

                    Cheers,
                    Stephen

                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
                      Oh Steve! Or Lee, for that matter.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
                        I don't have the Monuments book handy, but in the Administrative
                        History, which I think you have, the Supt. in 1889 lists everything in
                        the cemetery and made no mention of the 4th NY monument.

                        >>> Stephen Recker <recker@...> 09/30/07 6:59 AM >>>
                        Every where I look I see 1887 as the date of the erection of the 4th NY
                        monument in the National Cemetery, but I can't find a primary source
                        that agrees with that date. Does anyone know of one? Thanks.

                        Stephen
                      • Joseph Pierro
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
                          Stephen:

                          I searched Worldcat, LoC, NYPL. I can't even find a library seems to have a copy of the dedication pamphlet for the 4th NY monument in anyone's collection. Curious. . . .

                          --jake

                          I don't have the Monuments book handy, but in the Administrative
                          History, which I think you have, the Supt. in 1889 lists everything in
                          the cemetery and made no mention of the 4th NY monument.

                          >>> Stephen Recker <recker@virtualgetty sburg.com> 09/30/07 6:59 AM >>>
                          Every where I look I see 1887 as the date of the erection of the 4th NY
                          monument in the National Cemetery, but I can't find a primary source
                          that agrees with that date. Does anyone know of one? Thanks.

                        • Scott Hann
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
                            Steve,

                            In the August 4, 1892 issue of the Herald and Torch Light (Hagerstown, MD)
                            on page 2, column 2 there is an article that is headed: "FOURTH NEW YORK
                            MONUMENT To be Erected in the Antietam National Cemetery." It goes on to
                            talk about the projected design of the monument, monument committee,
                            inscription, etc.

                            Scott

                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
                              Steve,

                              Check that, I think it's page 3 (the page is unnumbered). In any case
                              I've already emailed you the .pdf file.

                              Scott
                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
                                Scott,

                                Yes, that is the one I found that got me thinking about it. It says the
                                monument was dedicated in 1892, but everywhere else I have looked -
                                Charles Adam's book, the park website, virtualantietam.com (gulp -
                                recently fixed), they say 1887. John Schildt's Monuments at Antietam
                                doesn't mention the date. New York at Antietam doesn't mention the
                                monument. I was just wondering where the rumour started about it being
                                1887. Thanks.

                                Stephen

                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
                                  Good point, Tom.

                                  Great talk you gave to the Hagerstown CWRT last week, BTW.

                                  Stephen

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 19, 2007
                                    TO: Stephen Recker

                                    In regard to our upcoming min-mustoer on Friday 10-26-07....

                                    I plan to walk the new trail on along east side of Burnside's Bridge.
                                    Do you have a specific time for conducting your Final Attack tour?

                                    Given this is new terrain for attendees, there will be avid interest in that tour.
                                    Please pick a time that accomodates your schedule and we'll make the final plans accordingly.
                                    Also make a guesstimate at how much time the walk will take.