Re: [TalkAntietam] Muster at Antietam 10-26-07

    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 28, 2007
      Friday is good for me. Count me in. Thanks.

      Stephen Recker

      On Friday, September 28, 2007, at 01:35 PM, RoteBaron@...
      wrote:

      > I am a member of the MHO (www.militaryhistoryonline.com) group.
      > Several avid Antietam fans have suggested that we meet for a 1-day
      > muster at Antietam. On Friday October 26. 2007, we plan to meet on the
      > field. If members of this group are interested in joining us, let me
      > know. Rain date would be October 27. There is no fee, just comradery
      > with plenty of discussion/debate/arguments..
      > As of now, the agenda would be the same tours I recently gave to
      > several groups:
      > 1) Meet early at North Woods. Walk to Miller Farm, then thru Cornfield.
      > 2) West Woods tour
      > 3) Sunken Road (focus on Irish Brigade)
      > 4) Cemetery tour
      > 5) Burnside Bridge & AP Hill's counterattack
      > Tom Shay - Cressona, PA

    • Tom Shay
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 28, 2007

        I agree Friday is not accomodating for everyone. However, by scheduling for the end of October, we're hoping this is enough notice for people to arrange their schedules. Any day on the battlefield and away from my hectic office is a good day!

        I had been trying to arrange this muster for several weeks and fInally had several people agree on the date. The autumn weather should still be decent and foliage gone. As noted, Saturday is the rain date.

        Why not have the date as October 27th? That way, people that
        might not be able to take off that Friday could still make it?

        >Several avid Antietam fans have suggested that we meet for a
        >1-day muster at Antietam. On Friday October 26. 2007, we plan to
        >meet on the field. If members of this group are interested in
        >joining us, let me know. Rain date would be October 27. There
        >is no fee, just comradery with plenty of
        >discussion/debate/arguments..
        > As of now, the agenda would be the same tours I recently gave
        > to several groups:
        > 1) Meet early at North Woods. Walk to Miller Farm, then thru
        > Cornfield.
        > 2) West Woods tour
        > 3) Sunken Road (focus on Irish Brigade)
        > 4) Cemetery tour
        > 5) Burnside Bridge & AP Hill's counterattack
        > Tom Shay - Cressona, PA

      • Tom Shay
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 28, 2007
          Stephen,

          If you have any special tour that you'd like to cover, please advise me.
          Our agenda is currently open and your expertise is always welcome!

          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 29, 2007

            Thanks for the invite. I'd love to do a tour of the Final Attack.

            Stephen

            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 29, 2007
              Having the über-guide of Antietam lead the "Final Attack" tour sounds great.
              :)

              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
                On Saturday, September 29, 2007, at 09:10 AM, Tom Shay wrote:

                > Having the über-guide of Antietam lead the "Final Attack" tour sounds
                > great.
                > :)

                Well, I am certainly not the über-guide, but I did play one on
                television once.

                Speaking of guides, yesterday Tom Clemens, Jeff Driscoll, Bill Sagle
                and myself were on the field at the exact same time. That means that
                the Antietam Battlefield Guides had a larger percentage of their force
                in action on the field at once (40%) than McClellan ever had (25%)

                Stephen.
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
                  Every where I look I see 1887 as the date of the erection of the 4th NY
                  monument in the National Cemetery, but I can't find a primary source
                  that agrees with that date. Does anyone know of one? Thanks.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
                    Stephen,

                    Did you mean 80%--the guide website
                    (http://www.antietambattlefieldguides.com/index.htm) lists 5 guides.
                    Or are there now 10 and the website needs to be updated? (And do you
                    think Ethan Refuse may have something to say about your McClellan
                    slur!)

                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
                      Larry,

                      First off, I was being generous with Little Mac ;-)

                      There are now ten active Antietam Battlefield Guides .
                      Randy Buchman
                      Tom Clemens
                      Jeff Driscoll
                      Mike Gamble
                      Steve Malovich
                      Justin Mayhue
                      John Powell
                      Stephen Recker
                      Bill Sagle
                      John Schildt

                      Cheers,
                      Stephen

                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
                        Oh Steve! Or Lee, for that matter.

                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
                          I don't have the Monuments book handy, but in the Administrative
                          History, which I think you have, the Supt. in 1889 lists everything in
                          the cemetery and made no mention of the 4th NY monument.

                          >>> Stephen Recker <recker@...> 09/30/07 6:59 AM >>>
                          Every where I look I see 1887 as the date of the erection of the 4th NY
                          monument in the National Cemetery, but I can't find a primary source
                          that agrees with that date. Does anyone know of one? Thanks.

                          Stephen
                        • Joseph Pierro
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
                            Stephen:

                            I searched Worldcat, LoC, NYPL. I can't even find a library seems to have a copy of the dedication pamphlet for the 4th NY monument in anyone's collection. Curious. . . .

                            --jake

                            I don't have the Monuments book handy, but in the Administrative
                            History, which I think you have, the Supt. in 1889 lists everything in
                            the cemetery and made no mention of the 4th NY monument.

                            >>> Stephen Recker <recker@virtualgetty sburg.com> 09/30/07 6:59 AM >>>
                            Every where I look I see 1887 as the date of the erection of the 4th NY
                            monument in the National Cemetery, but I can't find a primary source
                            that agrees with that date. Does anyone know of one? Thanks.

                          • Scott Hann
                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
                              Steve,

                              In the August 4, 1892 issue of the Herald and Torch Light (Hagerstown, MD)
                              on page 2, column 2 there is an article that is headed: "FOURTH NEW YORK
                              MONUMENT To be Erected in the Antietam National Cemetery." It goes on to
                              talk about the projected design of the monument, monument committee,
                              inscription, etc.

                              Scott

                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
                                Steve,

                                Check that, I think it's page 3 (the page is unnumbered). In any case
                                I've already emailed you the .pdf file.

                                Scott
                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
                                  Scott,

                                  Yes, that is the one I found that got me thinking about it. It says the
                                  monument was dedicated in 1892, but everywhere else I have looked -
                                  Charles Adam's book, the park website, virtualantietam.com (gulp -
                                  recently fixed), they say 1887. John Schildt's Monuments at Antietam
                                  doesn't mention the date. New York at Antietam doesn't mention the
                                  monument. I was just wondering where the rumour started about it being
                                  1887. Thanks.

                                  Stephen

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
                                    Good point, Tom.

                                    Great talk you gave to the Hagerstown CWRT last week, BTW.

                                    Stephen

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Oct 19, 2007
                                      TO: Stephen Recker

                                      In regard to our upcoming min-mustoer on Friday 10-26-07....

                                      I plan to walk the new trail on along east side of Burnside's Bridge.
                                      Do you have a specific time for conducting your Final Attack tour?

                                      Given this is new terrain for attendees, there will be avid interest in that tour.
                                      Please pick a time that accomodates your schedule and we'll make the final plans accordingly.
                                      Also make a guesstimate at how much time the walk will take.