Ghost tales of Antietam?

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 31, 2001
      I recall mention (while on Antietam tour this summer) that a bus trip had
      just been on the field featuring a "Ghost Tour". With this being Halloween,
      can anyone offer some ghostly tales or locales they've heard about Antietam?

      Any news on who gives these tours?

      I know Gettysburg has turned it's ghostly legends into a budding industry,
      but I've little about Antietam's hauntings.

      Tom Shay - GO YANKEES!
    • Rawlings, Kevin
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 31, 2001
        There is no Ghost industry at Sharpsburg or ANB at this present time much to
        my surprise and delight.

        As far as tales of the ghostly, near anniversary date of the battle, many
        people in town have reported hearing bands playing,the clinking of tinware,
        and the tramp of hundreds of marching feet down the main street, yet when
        they look outside nary an instrument, tin cup and canteen, nor any great
        gathering of marching men can be seen.

        The Pry house is haunted by a lady in white. Not sure who she is, Mrs. Pry,
        Mrs. Richardson, or some other poor unfortunate lady of the house, she once
        scared away a gang of workmen replacing the kitchen floor while they were
        eating their lunch. She tread where no floor was currently causing a hasty
        retreat of workmen back to their shop minus their tools. Refusing to go back
        to the work site, the boss had to retreive their tools. Paul Chiles when he
        lived in the house was known to sleep with a loaded gun under his pillow so
        he would not get any surprise or caught unawares by a person or persons of
        this world or not. My own wife has been touch by the woman during a historic
        dinner party held in the Richardson Room. She is now afraid to go near the
        house.

        Some years ago a troop of Boys Scouts told of hearing some drunken
        foreigners singing in their native tongues what several boyscouts said was
        Jingle Bells. Though no one was seen trespassing on what then was private
        land, the Ranger that was told of the infraction thought about for awhile
        and realized that what they may have heard was the Gaelic shout of the Irish
        Brigade shouting "Fallah Baileah! (Clear the Way!)" from the other side
        where many of the Irish of that famed brigade fell in death suddenly.

        I can assure you there is a cold spot on the VC side of the road across from
        the Dunker Church. I have felt it and dragged my wife through without
        telling her what I was doing.

        Reporting from the haunted fields of Sharpsburg and Antietam,
        Kevin Rawlings

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 31, 2001
          In a message dated 10/31/2001 12:42:32 PM EST, kevin.rawlings@... writes:
          << There is no Ghost industry at Sharpsburg or ANB at this present time much
          to my surprise and delight >>

          Kevin, thanks for the stories. I've yet to experience the para-normal on any
          battlefield.

          I once left the Visitor Center quite aghast. Of course the shock was merely
          from the bill of my book purchases!

          Tom Shay - GO NY YANKEES!
        • Rawlings, Kevin
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 31, 2001
            Yeah, I've had that out of body experience myself also. Wilmer Mumma has a
            ghost book out on the stories in the Sharpsburg area you might look into.

            Kevin

          • Rawlings, Kevin
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 31, 2001
              Ooouuuchhh! When she stepped into the cold spot she instantly knew what I
              was up to.
              Kevin

            • Ray Ortensie
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 31, 2001
                Last time I pulled my wife through somewhere without telling her I was
                welcomed with a good hard punch to the forearm!

                Ray

                > There is no Ghost industry at Sharpsburg or ANB at this present time much
                > my surprise and delight.
                >
                > As far as tales of the ghostly, near anniversary date of the battle, many
                > people in town have reported hearing bands playing,the clinking of
                tinware,
                > and the tramp of hundreds of marching feet down the main street, yet when
                > they look outside nary an instrument, tin cup and canteen, nor any great
                > gathering of marching men can be seen.
                >
                > The Pry house is haunted by a lady in white. Not sure who she is, Mrs.
                Pry,
                > Mrs. Richardson, or some other poor unfortunate lady of the house, she
                once
                > scared away a gang of workmen replacing the kitchen floor while they were
                > eating their lunch. She tread where no floor was currently causing a hasty
                > retreat of workmen back to their shop minus their tools. Refusing to go
                back
                > to the work site, the boss had to retreive their tools. Paul Chiles when
                he
                > lived in the house was known to sleep with a loaded gun under his pillow
                so
                > he would not get any surprise or caught unawares by a person or persons of
                > this world or not. My own wife has been touch by the woman during a
                historic
                > dinner party held in the Richardson Room. She is now afraid to go near the
                > house.
                >
                > Some years ago a troop of Boys Scouts told of hearing some drunken
                > foreigners singing in their native tongues what several boyscouts said was
                > Jingle Bells. Though no one was seen trespassing on what then was private
                > land, the Ranger that was told of the infraction thought about for awhile
                > and realized that what they may have heard was the Gaelic shout of the
                Irish
                > Brigade shouting "Fallah Baileah! (Clear the Way!)" from the other side
                > where many of the Irish of that famed brigade fell in death suddenly.
                >
                > I can assure you there is a cold spot on the VC side of the road across
                from
                > the Dunker Church. I have felt it and dragged my wife through without
                > telling her what I was doing.
                >
                > Reporting from the haunted fields of Sharpsburg and Antietam,
                > Kevin Rawlings

              • David Lutton
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 31, 2001
                  I do remember leaving Capt. Bender's late one night and boy did I see some
                  strange sights!! I was much better in the morning though!

                  David Lutton
                  Hollidaysburg Pa