Re: [TalkAntietam] Wistar vs Wister

  • Scott Hann
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 26, 2007
      As a kid growing up in Philly I used to play in Wister Woods Park, not far
      from Germantown.

      Scott

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 26, 2007
        Paula,

        Thanks for that factoid. In an earlier life I was fascinated by the
        150th PA on McPherson's Ridge. In studying the California Regiment in
        Philadelphia Brigade Park I always got the two guys confused. Nice to
        have that resolved.

        Stephen

      • 128thpa@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 26, 2007
          The Wister/Wistar brothers immigrated to Pennsylvania from Hillspach near Heidelberg, Germany in the early 18th century. Langhorne Wister's Mother, Sarah was the great-great granddaughter of James Logan. Logan in 1699 traveled to America with William Pen as his personal secretary.
          The Wister family was full of over-achievers.

          Owen Wister, Sr, a cousin to Langhorne, married the daughter of Fanny Kemble the famous English Actress. Their son, Owen Jr, wrote "The Virginian".

          LaSalle University has a great archive on the Wister family, as that land was the Wister Family home. The current University President's House was the home of Langhorne Wister. When he died, they had a Quaker Funeral Service for this CW General in what is now the President's Office(The house was originally built by the artist, Charles Wilson Peale and the parlor was his studio). Langhorne's brother wrote a great description of this fighting Quaker's funeral.

          Back to Antietam!

          Paula

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 27, 2007
            Wonderful stuff Paula, thank you.