Re: Mosby during the Maryland Campaign

    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 25, 2007
      Scott,

      Thank you very much for this excerpt--saves having to find/buy the
      book. A photo is a possibility especially the one with his arm in a
      sling.

      Larry

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Hann"
      <wutheringheights@...> wrote:

      > And in Wistar's own words:
      >
      > As the head of column was wheeling to the left about myself as
      > pivot, its killed and wounded falling at every step, I was myself
      > knocked over by a bullet through the left shoulder. Rogers, the
      left
      > flank sergeant of G Company was instantly at my side, and as the
      > blood was spouting from under the sleeve at the wrist, hastily
      > clapped on a tourniquet constructed of my pocket handkerchief and
      > his bayonet. He offered to remain with me, and was inclined to
      > insist, till I appealed to him to save my sword. Recognizing that
      > obligation, he quickly took it from me, and rushed after the
      > retiring column, and was scarcely gone till the enemy's line
      marched
      > over me.
      > But about this time General Meade, whose own division had
      > been used up in the two attacks of Hooker, had got together a small
      > force composed of the remnants of various regiments coming out in
      > good order, and was leading it forward when he met and seized on
      the
      > 71st, compact and in perfect order, though reduced to three
      officers
      > and scarcely 250 rank and file. This force continuing to increase
      > soon met and drove back the disordered Confederates who again
      > retired over me leaving me lying between two fires. Twice again the
      > enemy advanced over me, and were as often repulsed and driven back,
      > finally making a firm stand at or near their original position. The
      > last of these movements was by a heavy line of battle composed of
      > the fresh troops of 'Stonewall' Jackson—that is, if troops can be
      > called fresh who had marched all night and were now put into action
      > without any rest or intermission. As this splendid line moved over
      > me, a young lieutenant seized the occasion to leave his place to
      > demand my sword. When he learned that it was beyond his reach, he
      > wanted my parole, which I refused to give. The little dispute was
      > suddenly terminated by the arrival of several General Officers whom
      > I took to be McLaws, Walker and Stuart. These with their staffs
      were
      > following and closely watching their line now heavily engaged with
      > our troops, whose balls were striking all around us. Having lost
      > much blood notwithstanding the tourniquet, suffering intense pain
      > and barely able to whisper, I nevertheless managed to attract the
      > attention of one of their couriers, who dismounted, ascertained and
      > reported the subject of discussion to Stuart, who inquired of the
      > lieutenant his name and regiment. "Hill, of the 12th
      Georgia." "Join
      > it immediately sir." The courier then rearranged the tourniquet,
      > which, though hitherto but partially effective, had become
      > excessively painful, handed me a drink from one of the 71st's
      > wounded near-by, who kindly offered his canteen, and leaving me in
      > much more comfortable condition rode away after his General.
      > It was not till several years after the war that a mutual
      > friend—accidentally hearing the celebrated Confederate guerilla,
      > John S. Mosby, relate the same circumstance in connection with my
      > name, which he still remembered—brought us together, when I learned
      > for the first time that the friendly courier had been no other than
      > the renowned Mosby, at that time not even a commissioned officer.
      >
      > Wistar, Isaac J., "Autobiography of Isaac Jones Wistar 1827-1905
      > Half a Century in War and Peace," Philadelphia: The Wistar
      Institute
      > of Anatomy and Biology, 1937, pp. 407-409.
      >
      > I have several photos of Wistar including one with his arm in a
      > sling (from his Balls Bluff wound) which you are welcome to use for
      > your book.

    • Scott Hann
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 25, 2007
        Larry,

        You're welcome. If you decide on using a photo of Colonel Wistar just
        let me know how to deliver it to you.

        And one of these days we'll have to chat about the 8th CT. On
        Heritage Day I was impersonating one-armed Captain Eleazer Ripley of
        Company C, 8th Connecticut. He was shot above the left elbow at
        Antietam, and had his arm amputated the same day by Surgeon Storrs. A
        photo of him appears on the front cover of the September issue
        of "America's Civil War." I have the sword he carried at Antietam, as
        well as an alternate, signed view of him.

        Scott
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 25, 2007
          Scott,

          Sounds good; my wife and I plan on being at the Nov. 10 SHAF workday.
          Maybe we will see you there. Brian may be putting up my Conn. @
          Antietam paper in the near future with a section about the 8th.

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 26, 2007
            Larry,
            We'll be very grateful for your presence and help, thank you. Anyone else interested in attending, go to SHAF's website, SHAF.org (designed, created and maintained by Brian Downey!!!) where you can find the details. It appears we'll be cutting out trees from a fence line on the Roulette Farm and the NPS will erect a historic-type fence there when the project is complete. We also may get a call to help plant more apple trees in the Piper Orchard in December, and we'll post a notice for that when we have more information.
            Thanks for the plug!
            Tom Clemens
            President, SHAF

            >>> "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...> 09/25/07 2:25 PM >>>

            Scott,

            Sounds good; my wife and I plan on being at the Nov. 10 SHAF workday.
            Maybe we will see you there. Brian may be putting up my Conn. @
            Antietam paper in the near future with a section about the 8th.

            Larry
            Recent Activity
            2New Members
            Visit Your Group
            Yahoo! News
            Sexual Health
            Get important
            sex health news
            Yahoo! Groups
            Moderator Central
            Connecting a world
            of moderators
            Yahoo! Groups
            Join a yoga group
            and take the stress
            out of your life..

          • Harry Smeltzer
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 26, 2007
              Brian put up some neat stuff on the site today, including an article on the
              CDV of the officer pictured in the famous Elk Ridge signal station phot, and
              a picture of some of the board members gathered at the Heritage Festival.
              All this and more is what SHAF members get in the quarterly newsletter.

              www.shaf.org <http://www.shaf.org/>

              Harry