Re: Mosby during the Maryland Campaign

  • Scott Hann
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 25, 2007
      And in Wistar's own words:

      As the head of column was wheeling to the left about myself as
      pivot, its killed and wounded falling at every step, I was myself
      knocked over by a bullet through the left shoulder. Rogers, the left
      flank sergeant of G Company was instantly at my side, and as the
      blood was spouting from under the sleeve at the wrist, hastily
      clapped on a tourniquet constructed of my pocket handkerchief and
      his bayonet. He offered to remain with me, and was inclined to
      insist, till I appealed to him to save my sword. Recognizing that
      obligation, he quickly took it from me, and rushed after the
      retiring column, and was scarcely gone till the enemy's line marched
      over me.
      But about this time General Meade, whose own division had
      been used up in the two attacks of Hooker, had got together a small
      force composed of the remnants of various regiments coming out in
      good order, and was leading it forward when he met and seized on the
      71st, compact and in perfect order, though reduced to three officers
      and scarcely 250 rank and file. This force continuing to increase
      soon met and drove back the disordered Confederates who again
      retired over me leaving me lying between two fires. Twice again the
      enemy advanced over me, and were as often repulsed and driven back,
      finally making a firm stand at or near their original position. The
      last of these movements was by a heavy line of battle composed of
      the fresh troops of 'Stonewall' Jackson—that is, if troops can be
      called fresh who had marched all night and were now put into action
      without any rest or intermission. As this splendid line moved over
      me, a young lieutenant seized the occasion to leave his place to
      demand my sword. When he learned that it was beyond his reach, he
      wanted my parole, which I refused to give. The little dispute was
      suddenly terminated by the arrival of several General Officers whom
      I took to be McLaws, Walker and Stuart. These with their staffs were
      following and closely watching their line now heavily engaged with
      our troops, whose balls were striking all around us. Having lost
      much blood notwithstanding the tourniquet, suffering intense pain
      and barely able to whisper, I nevertheless managed to attract the
      attention of one of their couriers, who dismounted, ascertained and
      reported the subject of discussion to Stuart, who inquired of the
      lieutenant his name and regiment. "Hill, of the 12th Georgia." "Join
      it immediately sir." The courier then rearranged the tourniquet,
      which, though hitherto but partially effective, had become
      excessively painful, handed me a drink from one of the 71st's
      wounded near-by, who kindly offered his canteen, and leaving me in a
      much more comfortable condition rode away after his General.
      It was not till several years after the war that a mutual
      friend—accidentally hearing the celebrated Confederate guerilla,
      John S. Mosby, relate the same circumstance in connection with my
      name, which he still remembered—brought us together, when I learned
      for the first time that the friendly courier had been no other than
      the renowned Mosby, at that time not even a commissioned officer.

      Wistar, Isaac J., "Autobiography of Isaac Jones Wistar 1827-1905
      Half a Century in War and Peace," Philadelphia: The Wistar Institute
      of Anatomy and Biology, 1937, pp. 407-409.

      I have several photos of Wistar including one with his arm in a
      sling (from his Balls Bluff wound) which you are welcome to use for
      your book.
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 25, 2007
        Scott,

        Thank you very much for this excerpt--saves having to find/buy the
        book. A photo is a possibility especially the one with his arm in a
        sling.

        Larry

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Hann"
        <wutheringheights@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > wounded near-by, who kindly offered his canteen, and leaving me in
        > much more comfortable condition rode away after his General.
        > It was not till several years after the war that a mutual
        > friend—accidentally hearing the celebrated Confederate guerilla,
        > John S. Mosby, relate the same circumstance in connection with my
        > name, which he still remembered—brought us together, when I learned
        > for the first time that the friendly courier had been no other than
        > the renowned Mosby, at that time not even a commissioned officer.
        >
        > Wistar, Isaac J., "Autobiography of Isaac Jones Wistar 1827-1905
        > Half a Century in War and Peace," Philadelphia: The Wistar
        Institute
        > of Anatomy and Biology, 1937, pp. 407-409.
        >
        > I have several photos of Wistar including one with his arm in a
        > sling (from his Balls Bluff wound) which you are welcome to use for

      • Scott Hann
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 25, 2007
          Larry,

          You're welcome. If you decide on using a photo of Colonel Wistar just
          let me know how to deliver it to you.

          And one of these days we'll have to chat about the 8th CT. On
          Heritage Day I was impersonating one-armed Captain Eleazer Ripley of
          Company C, 8th Connecticut. He was shot above the left elbow at
          Antietam, and had his arm amputated the same day by Surgeon Storrs. A
          photo of him appears on the front cover of the September issue
          of "America's Civil War." I have the sword he carried at Antietam, as
          well as an alternate, signed view of him.

          Scott
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 25, 2007
            Scott,

            Sounds good; my wife and I plan on being at the Nov. 10 SHAF workday.
            Maybe we will see you there. Brian may be putting up my Conn. @
            Antietam paper in the near future with a section about the 8th.

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 26, 2007
              Larry,
              We'll be very grateful for your presence and help, thank you. Anyone else interested in attending, go to SHAF's website, SHAF.org (designed, created and maintained by Brian Downey!!!) where you can find the details. It appears we'll be cutting out trees from a fence line on the Roulette Farm and the NPS will erect a historic-type fence there when the project is complete. We also may get a call to help plant more apple trees in the Piper Orchard in December, and we'll post a notice for that when we have more information.
              Thanks for the plug!
              Tom Clemens
              President, SHAF

              >>> "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...> 09/25/07 2:25 PM >>>

              Scott,

              Sounds good; my wife and I plan on being at the Nov. 10 SHAF workday.
              Maybe we will see you there. Brian may be putting up my Conn. @
              Antietam paper in the near future with a section about the 8th.

              Larry
              Recent Activity
              2New Members
              Visit Your Group
              Yahoo! News
              Sexual Health
              Get important
              sex health news
              Yahoo! Groups
              Moderator Central
              Connecting a world
              of moderators
              Yahoo! Groups
              Join a yoga group
              and take the stress
              out of your life..

            • Harry Smeltzer
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 26, 2007
                Brian put up some neat stuff on the site today, including an article on the
                CDV of the officer pictured in the famous Elk Ridge signal station phot, and
                a picture of some of the board members gathered at the Heritage Festival.
                All this and more is what SHAF members get in the quarterly newsletter.

                www.shaf.org <http://www.shaf.org/>

                Harry