Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Mosby during the Maryland Campaign

  • Joseph Pierro
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 25, 2007
      Lol! Serves me right for not checking Brian's site first. I could have saved myself the typing. . . . :)

      Jeff Wert, in his history of Mosby's Ranger's, says simply that Mosby "participated" in the Antietam campaign.

      --j

      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 25, 2007
        All,

        Thanks for your help! Looks like with all these sources my next
        written effort, "Cavalry during the Maryland Campaign," will have a
        paragraph concerning Mosby. Plus I will have to add a couple books
        abut Mosby to my groaning bookshelves.

        Larry

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Pierro
        <joseph_pierro@...> wrote:

        > Lol! Serves me right for not checking Brian's site first. I could
        have saved myself the typing. . . . :)

        > Jeff Wert, in his history of Mosby's Ranger's, says simply that
        Mosby "participated" in the Antietam campaign.

        > --j

      • Scott Hann
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 25, 2007
          And in Wistar's own words:

          As the head of column was wheeling to the left about myself as
          pivot, its killed and wounded falling at every step, I was myself
          knocked over by a bullet through the left shoulder. Rogers, the left
          flank sergeant of G Company was instantly at my side, and as the
          blood was spouting from under the sleeve at the wrist, hastily
          clapped on a tourniquet constructed of my pocket handkerchief and
          his bayonet. He offered to remain with me, and was inclined to
          insist, till I appealed to him to save my sword. Recognizing that
          obligation, he quickly took it from me, and rushed after the
          retiring column, and was scarcely gone till the enemy's line marched
          over me.
          But about this time General Meade, whose own division had
          been used up in the two attacks of Hooker, had got together a small
          force composed of the remnants of various regiments coming out in
          good order, and was leading it forward when he met and seized on the
          71st, compact and in perfect order, though reduced to three officers
          and scarcely 250 rank and file. This force continuing to increase
          soon met and drove back the disordered Confederates who again
          retired over me leaving me lying between two fires. Twice again the
          enemy advanced over me, and were as often repulsed and driven back,
          finally making a firm stand at or near their original position. The
          last of these movements was by a heavy line of battle composed of
          the fresh troops of 'Stonewall' Jackson—that is, if troops can be
          called fresh who had marched all night and were now put into action
          without any rest or intermission. As this splendid line moved over
          me, a young lieutenant seized the occasion to leave his place to
          demand my sword. When he learned that it was beyond his reach, he
          wanted my parole, which I refused to give. The little dispute was
          suddenly terminated by the arrival of several General Officers whom
          I took to be McLaws, Walker and Stuart. These with their staffs were
          following and closely watching their line now heavily engaged with
          our troops, whose balls were striking all around us. Having lost
          much blood notwithstanding the tourniquet, suffering intense pain
          and barely able to whisper, I nevertheless managed to attract the
          attention of one of their couriers, who dismounted, ascertained and
          reported the subject of discussion to Stuart, who inquired of the
          lieutenant his name and regiment. "Hill, of the 12th Georgia." "Join
          it immediately sir." The courier then rearranged the tourniquet,
          which, though hitherto but partially effective, had become
          excessively painful, handed me a drink from one of the 71st's
          wounded near-by, who kindly offered his canteen, and leaving me in a
          much more comfortable condition rode away after his General.
          It was not till several years after the war that a mutual
          friend—accidentally hearing the celebrated Confederate guerilla,
          John S. Mosby, relate the same circumstance in connection with my
          name, which he still remembered—brought us together, when I learned
          for the first time that the friendly courier had been no other than
          the renowned Mosby, at that time not even a commissioned officer.

          Wistar, Isaac J., "Autobiography of Isaac Jones Wistar 1827-1905
          Half a Century in War and Peace," Philadelphia: The Wistar Institute
          of Anatomy and Biology, 1937, pp. 407-409.

          I have several photos of Wistar including one with his arm in a
          sling (from his Balls Bluff wound) which you are welcome to use for
          your book.
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 25, 2007
            Scott,

            Thank you very much for this excerpt--saves having to find/buy the
            book. A photo is a possibility especially the one with his arm in a
            sling.

            Larry

            --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Hann"
            <wutheringheights@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > wounded near-by, who kindly offered his canteen, and leaving me in
            > much more comfortable condition rode away after his General.
            > It was not till several years after the war that a mutual
            > friend—accidentally hearing the celebrated Confederate guerilla,
            > John S. Mosby, relate the same circumstance in connection with my
            > name, which he still remembered—brought us together, when I learned
            > for the first time that the friendly courier had been no other than
            > the renowned Mosby, at that time not even a commissioned officer.
            >
            > Wistar, Isaac J., "Autobiography of Isaac Jones Wistar 1827-1905
            > Half a Century in War and Peace," Philadelphia: The Wistar
            Institute
            > of Anatomy and Biology, 1937, pp. 407-409.
            >
            > I have several photos of Wistar including one with his arm in a
            > sling (from his Balls Bluff wound) which you are welcome to use for

          • Scott Hann
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 25, 2007
              Larry,

              You're welcome. If you decide on using a photo of Colonel Wistar just
              let me know how to deliver it to you.

              And one of these days we'll have to chat about the 8th CT. On
              Heritage Day I was impersonating one-armed Captain Eleazer Ripley of
              Company C, 8th Connecticut. He was shot above the left elbow at
              Antietam, and had his arm amputated the same day by Surgeon Storrs. A
              photo of him appears on the front cover of the September issue
              of "America's Civil War." I have the sword he carried at Antietam, as
              well as an alternate, signed view of him.

              Scott
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 25, 2007
                Scott,

                Sounds good; my wife and I plan on being at the Nov. 10 SHAF workday.
                Maybe we will see you there. Brian may be putting up my Conn. @
                Antietam paper in the near future with a section about the 8th.

                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 26, 2007
                  Larry,
                  We'll be very grateful for your presence and help, thank you. Anyone else interested in attending, go to SHAF's website, SHAF.org (designed, created and maintained by Brian Downey!!!) where you can find the details. It appears we'll be cutting out trees from a fence line on the Roulette Farm and the NPS will erect a historic-type fence there when the project is complete. We also may get a call to help plant more apple trees in the Piper Orchard in December, and we'll post a notice for that when we have more information.
                  Thanks for the plug!
                  Tom Clemens
                  President, SHAF

                  >>> "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...> 09/25/07 2:25 PM >>>

                  Scott,

                  Sounds good; my wife and I plan on being at the Nov. 10 SHAF workday.
                  Maybe we will see you there. Brian may be putting up my Conn. @
                  Antietam paper in the near future with a section about the 8th.

                  Larry
                  Recent Activity
                  2New Members
                  Visit Your Group
                  Yahoo! News
                  Sexual Health
                  Get important
                  sex health news
                  Yahoo! Groups
                  Moderator Central
                  Connecting a world
                  of moderators
                  Yahoo! Groups
                  Join a yoga group
                  and take the stress
                  out of your life..

                • Harry Smeltzer
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 26, 2007
                    Brian put up some neat stuff on the site today, including an article on the
                    CDV of the officer pictured in the famous Elk Ridge signal station phot, and
                    a picture of some of the board members gathered at the Heritage Festival.
                    All this and more is what SHAF members get in the quarterly newsletter.

                    www.shaf.org <http://www.shaf.org/>

                    Harry