Mosby during the Maryland Campaign

    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 25, 2007
      Where is there an account of Mosby's activities during the Maryland
      Campaign? I have read that he was present but so far that is all I have
      found.

      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 25, 2007
        <eighth_conn_inf@...> wrote:

        > Where is there an account of Mosby's activities during the Maryland
        > Campaign? I have read that he was present but so far that is all I
        have
        > found.
        >
        > Larry

        I see in Ramage that Mosby was a courier for Stuart and was on the left
        during the battle on the 17th and gave water to Col. Wistar. I found
        nothing in the OR's.
      • bdowney@aotw.org
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 25, 2007
          Hey Larry,

          I have a little about Mosby on AotW (http://aotw.org/officers.php?officer_id=1074). I found a snippet from his memoirs, including an incident that might be leading to giving the Colonel water ...

          Brian

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 25, 2007
            Brian,

            I should have checked your site first, thx!

            Larry

            --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, bdowney@... wrote:

            > Hey Larry,
            >
            > I have a little about Mosby on AotW (http://aotw.org/officers.php?
            officer_id=1074). I found a snippet from his memoirs, including an
            incident that might be leading to giving the Colonel water ...

            > Brian

          • barringer63
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 25, 2007
              Larry wrote:

              > I see in Ramage that Mosby was a courier for Stuart and was on the
              left
              > during the battle on the 17th and gave water to Col. Wistar. I
              found
              > nothing in the OR's.

              Kevin Siepel adds a little more to the Wistar/Mosby story in his
              book "Rebel: The Life and Times of John Singleton Mosby." Siepel
              wrote that while Mosby was administering to Wistar, Jackson's guns
              opened again on the retreating Union troops. In great pain, Wistar
              asked the identity of the guns. Mosby, not wishing to add to the
              colonel's misery, told him that he didn't know and then rode off to
              rejoin Stuart. Both Ramage and Siepel state that Mosby and Wistar met
              after the war and that Wistar was very surprised to find out who his
              benefactor had been.

              Regards,
              Teej

            • Joseph Pierro
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 25, 2007
                From Mosby's memoir, published postumously in 1917 (pp. 144-45):

                "I rode just behind Jackson when he marched at the head of his columns through Frederick City, Md., in September, 1862, with his band playing 'My Maryland.' But I never heard the story of Barbara Fritchie shaking the Stars ans Stripes in his face until I read Whittier's poem. I am sorry the story is a myth, for, as the poet tells it, the respect which the Confederates showed her was a great contrast with the treatment an order of a certain general required to be shown to a woman who by word, sign, or gesture should be disrespectful to the U.S. soldier or flag.
                "I only once saw Stonewall Jackson in battle. At Antietam I rode with Stuart by some batteries where Jackson was directing their fire on the flank of a column that was advancing against him, and I stopped a minute to look at the great soldier who was then transfigured with the joy of battle. In a quiet way he was giving orders. McClellan had sent three corps in succession against him--Hooker's, Mansfield's, and Sumner's--and each in turn was repulsed. While I was near him, the last onset was made, but Jackson held the same ground at sunset that he held in the morning.
                "I rode on and overtook Stuart, but the killed and wounded were strewn on the ground 'like leaves of the forest when autumn hath blown', and I had to be careful not to ride over them. Whole ranks seemed to have been struck down by a volley. Although hundreds were lying all around me, my attention was in some way attracted to a wounded officer who was lying in an uncomfortable position and seemed to be suffering great agony. I dismounted, fixed him more comfortably, and rolled up a blanket on which he rested his head, and then got a canteen of water for him from the body of a dead soldier lying near him. As I passed a wounded soldier, I held the canteen toward him so that he could drink. He said, 'No, take it to my Colonel, he is the best man in the world.' [This was a speech worthy of Sidney, the model of chivalry.]"

                --jake

                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 25, 2007
                  Lol! Serves me right for not checking Brian's site first. I could have saved myself the typing. . . . :)

                  Jeff Wert, in his history of Mosby's Ranger's, says simply that Mosby "participated" in the Antietam campaign.

                  --j

                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 25, 2007
                    All,

                    Thanks for your help! Looks like with all these sources my next
                    written effort, "Cavalry during the Maryland Campaign," will have a
                    paragraph concerning Mosby. Plus I will have to add a couple books
                    abut Mosby to my groaning bookshelves.

                    Larry

                    --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Pierro
                    <joseph_pierro@...> wrote:

                    > Lol! Serves me right for not checking Brian's site first. I could
                    have saved myself the typing. . . . :)

                    > Jeff Wert, in his history of Mosby's Ranger's, says simply that
                    Mosby "participated" in the Antietam campaign.

                    > --j

                  • Scott Hann
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 25, 2007
                      And in Wistar's own words:

                      As the head of column was wheeling to the left about myself as
                      pivot, its killed and wounded falling at every step, I was myself
                      knocked over by a bullet through the left shoulder. Rogers, the left
                      flank sergeant of G Company was instantly at my side, and as the
                      blood was spouting from under the sleeve at the wrist, hastily
                      clapped on a tourniquet constructed of my pocket handkerchief and
                      his bayonet. He offered to remain with me, and was inclined to
                      insist, till I appealed to him to save my sword. Recognizing that
                      obligation, he quickly took it from me, and rushed after the
                      retiring column, and was scarcely gone till the enemy's line marched
                      over me.
                      But about this time General Meade, whose own division had
                      been used up in the two attacks of Hooker, had got together a small
                      force composed of the remnants of various regiments coming out in
                      good order, and was leading it forward when he met and seized on the
                      71st, compact and in perfect order, though reduced to three officers
                      and scarcely 250 rank and file. This force continuing to increase
                      soon met and drove back the disordered Confederates who again
                      retired over me leaving me lying between two fires. Twice again the
                      enemy advanced over me, and were as often repulsed and driven back,
                      finally making a firm stand at or near their original position. The
                      last of these movements was by a heavy line of battle composed of
                      the fresh troops of 'Stonewall' Jackson—that is, if troops can be
                      called fresh who had marched all night and were now put into action
                      without any rest or intermission. As this splendid line moved over
                      me, a young lieutenant seized the occasion to leave his place to
                      demand my sword. When he learned that it was beyond his reach, he
                      wanted my parole, which I refused to give. The little dispute was
                      suddenly terminated by the arrival of several General Officers whom
                      I took to be McLaws, Walker and Stuart. These with their staffs were
                      following and closely watching their line now heavily engaged with
                      our troops, whose balls were striking all around us. Having lost
                      much blood notwithstanding the tourniquet, suffering intense pain
                      and barely able to whisper, I nevertheless managed to attract the
                      attention of one of their couriers, who dismounted, ascertained and
                      reported the subject of discussion to Stuart, who inquired of the
                      lieutenant his name and regiment. "Hill, of the 12th Georgia." "Join
                      it immediately sir." The courier then rearranged the tourniquet,
                      which, though hitherto but partially effective, had become
                      excessively painful, handed me a drink from one of the 71st's
                      wounded near-by, who kindly offered his canteen, and leaving me in a
                      much more comfortable condition rode away after his General.
                      It was not till several years after the war that a mutual
                      friend—accidentally hearing the celebrated Confederate guerilla,
                      John S. Mosby, relate the same circumstance in connection with my
                      name, which he still remembered—brought us together, when I learned
                      for the first time that the friendly courier had been no other than
                      the renowned Mosby, at that time not even a commissioned officer.

                      Wistar, Isaac J., "Autobiography of Isaac Jones Wistar 1827-1905
                      Half a Century in War and Peace," Philadelphia: The Wistar Institute
                      of Anatomy and Biology, 1937, pp. 407-409.

                      I have several photos of Wistar including one with his arm in a
                      sling (from his Balls Bluff wound) which you are welcome to use for
                      your book.
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 25, 2007
                        Scott,

                        Thank you very much for this excerpt--saves having to find/buy the
                        book. A photo is a possibility especially the one with his arm in a
                        sling.

                        Larry

                        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Hann"
                        <wutheringheights@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        > wounded near-by, who kindly offered his canteen, and leaving me in
                        > much more comfortable condition rode away after his General.
                        > It was not till several years after the war that a mutual
                        > friend—accidentally hearing the celebrated Confederate guerilla,
                        > John S. Mosby, relate the same circumstance in connection with my
                        > name, which he still remembered—brought us together, when I learned
                        > for the first time that the friendly courier had been no other than
                        > the renowned Mosby, at that time not even a commissioned officer.
                        >
                        > Wistar, Isaac J., "Autobiography of Isaac Jones Wistar 1827-1905
                        > Half a Century in War and Peace," Philadelphia: The Wistar
                        Institute
                        > of Anatomy and Biology, 1937, pp. 407-409.
                        >
                        > I have several photos of Wistar including one with his arm in a
                        > sling (from his Balls Bluff wound) which you are welcome to use for

                      • Scott Hann
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 25, 2007
                          Larry,

                          You're welcome. If you decide on using a photo of Colonel Wistar just
                          let me know how to deliver it to you.

                          And one of these days we'll have to chat about the 8th CT. On
                          Heritage Day I was impersonating one-armed Captain Eleazer Ripley of
                          Company C, 8th Connecticut. He was shot above the left elbow at
                          Antietam, and had his arm amputated the same day by Surgeon Storrs. A
                          photo of him appears on the front cover of the September issue
                          of "America's Civil War." I have the sword he carried at Antietam, as
                          well as an alternate, signed view of him.

                          Scott
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 25, 2007
                            Scott,

                            Sounds good; my wife and I plan on being at the Nov. 10 SHAF workday.
                            Maybe we will see you there. Brian may be putting up my Conn. @
                            Antietam paper in the near future with a section about the 8th.

                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 26, 2007
                              Larry,
                              We'll be very grateful for your presence and help, thank you. Anyone else interested in attending, go to SHAF's website, SHAF.org (designed, created and maintained by Brian Downey!!!) where you can find the details. It appears we'll be cutting out trees from a fence line on the Roulette Farm and the NPS will erect a historic-type fence there when the project is complete. We also may get a call to help plant more apple trees in the Piper Orchard in December, and we'll post a notice for that when we have more information.
                              Thanks for the plug!
                              Tom Clemens
                              President, SHAF

                              >>> "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...> 09/25/07 2:25 PM >>>

                              Scott,

                              Sounds good; my wife and I plan on being at the Nov. 10 SHAF workday.
                              Maybe we will see you there. Brian may be putting up my Conn. @
                              Antietam paper in the near future with a section about the 8th.

                              Larry
                              Recent Activity
                              2New Members
                              Visit Your Group
                              Yahoo! News
                              Sexual Health
                              Get important
                              sex health news
                              Yahoo! Groups
                              Moderator Central
                              Connecting a world
                              of moderators
                              Yahoo! Groups
                              Join a yoga group
                              and take the stress
                              out of your life..

                            • Harry Smeltzer
                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 26, 2007
                                Brian put up some neat stuff on the site today, including an article on the
                                CDV of the officer pictured in the famous Elk Ridge signal station phot, and
                                a picture of some of the board members gathered at the Heritage Festival.
                                All this and more is what SHAF members get in the quarterly newsletter.

                                www.shaf.org <http://www.shaf.org/>

                                Harry