Re: [TalkAntietam] My first visit

  • The Mills
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 21 4:51 AM
      I think one of the more interesting things about Harper's Ferry is the Stone Fort trail across the River. But I must admit, it is a rather difficult trail, but very interesting. You can see a lot of the gun placements and the fort itself is still in rather good condition considering, but overgrown with a lot of trees.

      I felt like a champ when I got to the point and saw the NPS plaque that said "this is the furtherst Lincoln got in his inspection", then I took two steps more and said I was better than Lincoln. Then I took about a 30 minute break before I could continue up the mountain. But it is an impressive view of the valleys below.

      If you can't make it all the way up to the fort, you can make it to the overlook and get a beautiful birds eye view of Harper's Ferry and point of the Rivers from above.

      If you do the Stone Fort trail, I think it is around 9 or 10 miles round trip.

      Thanks
      Andy