Marines

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 19, 2007
      When I was leaving the visitors center yesterday, six buses full of
      marines from Quantico,in civilian clothing pulled up. They all had
      backpacks and looked like they were going to do an all day hike over
      the battlefield. Anybody have further info? Seems like a good idea
      they should know history and the importance of topography.
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 19, 2007
        Most of the service academies schedule trip to Civil War battlefields, and those folks from Quantico are young officers in a training school. The original intent of the battlefields was to be outdoor classrooms for military officers.

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 19, 2007
          To expand somewhat on Tom's statement... at various times during
          the year there are also Staff Rides for more senior officers
          where they get to explore the field as well.

          Terrain on the battlefield today is just as important as it was
          back then. To be a good officer one needs to develop an eye for,
          and appreciation of, terrain.