Re: [TalkAntietam] Burnsides Bridge by Tucker

  • David Lutton
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 26, 2001

      Leaving the references to King Leonidas and his fellow heroic Lacedaemonians
      aside, (my favorite military campaign), I did find the book instructive on
      the service performed by Toombs' men after their repulse from the bridge
      area in the final repulse of the 9th Corps.

      David Lutton
      Hollidaysburg PA
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 26, 2001
        I thought the handwaving statistics near the end that compared
        Toombs losses with AP Hills' losses which overall 'proved' that
        Toombs did most of the repulsing of the IX corps, kind of left
        a bad impression.

        rotbaron@... wrote:

        > I just started reading "Burnside's Bridge" by Phillip Tucker.
        >
        > Anyone have an opinion on this book? Any glaring errors I should keep watch
        > for? All reviews (good or bad) are welcome!

      • Tom Clemens
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 27, 2001
          David,
          Yes indeed, many accounts ignor that brigade's accomplishments after the stand
          at the bridge, and the two other regiments join them. Keith Snyder, NPS
          ranger, refers to Toombs as the energizer bunny of Antietam. Agreed.