Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

NY Tribune: Sept 17, 1862 - Page 1, Column 2

Expand Messages
  • Brian Downey
    The New York Daily Tribune. Vol. XXII .....No. 6,694. NEW-YORK, WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 1862. PRICE TWO CENTS. [Front Page, Second Column] [from Col 1: ...
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 26, 2001
    • 0 Attachment
      The New York Daily Tribune.
      Vol. XXII .....No. 6,694.

      [Front Page, Second Column]

      [from Col 1: ... when the white flag] was reluctantly displayed.
      While flying, Col. Miles was mortally wounded by a shell, and others
      killed. The terms of capitulation were arranged by Gen. White and
      Gen. Hill. All our troops were paroled. Gens. Jackson, Hill, and
      Branch, commanded the Rebels.
      The first account of Col. Miles' surrender was telegraphed by the
      operator at Point of Rocks last night, upon the authority of
      stragglers who had come in, and was confirmed by the operator at
      Chambersburg with additional particulars. The 12th Illinois Cavalry,
      Col. Vose, which had reached Chambersburg yesterday in safety, had cut
      its way though the beleaguering force of the enemy, and succeeded in
      reaching and crossing the river to Williamsport. On the way to
      Chambersburg they captured Gen. Longstreet's ammunition train, 60
      wagons and 70 prisoners.
      The fact that Col. Miles sent this valuable part of his command, a
      regiment 1,500 strong, outside of his fortifications, at a time when
      comparatively no fighting had been done, leads to the belief that he
      expected to be obliged to surrender, as his message to Gen. McClellan
      intimated that he should do yesterday morning, unless sooner relieved.
      The infantry, including the command of Gen. Julius White, which
      joined Col. Miles from Martinsburg on Saturday, was all taken dead or
      alive. The number of prisoners is not much more than 5,000, most of
      them belonging to the new regiments. The cavalry, which succeeded in
      making its escape, suffered very little.
      Valuable guns also fell into the hands of the enemy - how many of
      which they carried away with them is unknown. They could not have
      removed the 9-inch Dahlgrens, with which, manned by seamen, Gen.
      Saxton kept Gen. Jackson at bay in his last raid up the river. Col.
      Miles is reported to have been mortally wounded.


      To the Associated Press.
      WASHINGTON, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1862.

      Harper's Ferry was surrendered to the Rebels at 10 o'clock yesterday,
      after Col. Miles had been severely, if not fatally, wounded. The
      officers and men, supposed to be about 8,000 strong, were paroled.

      BALTIMORE, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1862.

      The following is from a special to The American from Frederick:
      The combined forces of Loring and Jackson stormed the works at
      Harper's Ferry yesterday morning, and captured the position. Col.
      Miles is said to have made a desperate resistance. Accounts differ;
      some say he was wounded after he raised the white flag.
      Other accounts state that he was killed or mortally wounded before the
      surrender. All our forces were parolled, numbering 6,000, some of
      whom have arrived at Frederick. When the parolled men left, the enemy
      was preparing to blow up the three spans of the new bridge.
      Reports were circulated in Frederick to-day thatMcClellan had retaken
      Harper's Ferry, but they were not deemed reliable.

      FREDERICK, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1862.

      I regret to have to announce the surrender of Harper's Ferry, with all
      the forces and stores there, to the enemy at 9 o'clock Monday morning.
      Enlisted men, and some officers, have been paroled and arrived here.
      From them I get the following particulars:
      The Rebels commenced the attack on Friday noon on our forces on
      Maryland Heights, skirmishing continued throughout the day and was
      renewed on Saturday.
      The enemy was driven back with considerable loss. They came up
      several times and were repulsed, when it was discovered they were
      approaching in overwhelming force.. Order was given to spike the
      guns, and throw them down the mountain. The whole force from the
      hights then returned in safety, the guns from Camp Hill shelling the
      enemy when they attempted to pursue our retreating men.
      On Sunday morning a party of our men again ascended the Hights and
      brought away their field piece, which they had left unspiked.
      On Sunday at noon the Rebels appeared in great force on Loudon
      Heights. Miles shelled them from point to point. Some of their guns
      were dislodged, but they still managed to keep up a brisk fire from
      some of their batteries, which were run back out of sight and loaded.
      The cannonading was kept up all day on Sunday, without doing much
      damage. The firing ceased at dusk on Sunday evening, and was resumed
      again on Monday morning at daylight, and kept up till 9 o'clock, when
      Miles ordered the white flag to be raised.
      There was considerable fog and smoke, and the enemy either did not see
      the flag or would not see it, and kept up a heavy fire for ten minutes
      after the flag was raised. A shell struck Col. Miles shattering his
      right leg. It was amputated before the prisoners were parolled.
      There were about 2,300 cavalry in the command, all of whom but about
      40 escaped about 8 o'clock Sunday night, and cut their way through to
      Greencastle, with but little loss. The balance of the troops,
      numbering from 6,000 to 8,000, with Gen. White's command from
      Martinsburg, were all surrendered.
      Gen. Howe captured an aid of Gen. Stuart on Monday afternoon, who was
      making his way from Harper's Ferry to Boonesboro' with a dispatch from
      Gen Jackson to Gen. Lee, announcing the capitulation of the place.
      The aid supposed that Lee was at Boonesboro', which was in our
      possession. This the first intimation of the surrender that our
      Generals received.
      At this time, Gen. Franklin was within three hours march of the Ferry,
      going to the relief of the beleaguered command, wither he had been
      sent by Gen. McClellan so soon as he received the dispatch from Col.
      Miles, on Monday evening, that he was in danger.

      BALTIMORE, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1862.

      Passengers from Monocacy report seeing paroled prisoners from Harper's
      Ferry, who report the surrender of Harper's Ferry on Monday morning,
      after a most determined defense and the death of Col. Miles, who was
      killed by a shell cutting off one of his legs. According to these
      reports, Col. Miles evacuated Maryland Hights on Saturday evening,
      after exploding one of his heavy guns and throwing others down the
      The officers were allowed to go out with their side-arms and horses,
      and the men with their personal effects, which indicated that the
      surrender was conditional.
      The railroad bridge and Potomac bridge were still standing, and the
      Rebels were reported to be evacuating the Maryland Hights.


      Further Regarding Sunday's Battle - Intel-
      ligence from Harper's Ferry.

      From Our Own Correspondent.
      BALTIMORE, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1862.

      I have gained some further particulars this morning of the battle of
      Middletown Hights, fought on

      [continued in Column 3]
    • Brian Downey
      The New York Daily Tribune. Vol. XXII .....No. 6,694. NEW-YORK, WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 1862. PRICE TWO CENTS. [Front Page, Third Column] [from Col 2: ... the
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 27, 2001
      • 0 Attachment
        The New York Daily Tribune.
        Vol. XXII .....No. 6,694.

        [Front Page, Third Column]

        [from Col 2: ... the battle of Middletown Hights, fought on] Sunday.
        McClellan's army was marching out of Frederick by four o'clock on
        Sunday morning. The men had been called at three, and received a
        breakfast of coffee and two pieces of bread each, which was all they
        had to eat till ten o'clock at night. They were too eager to meet the
        foe, however, to feel the pangs of hunger - after they had met him
        they were too busy driving him up and over the mountain to care to
        Early in the forenoon, the rear guard of the enemy was discovered, and
        an artillery duel continued to about 3 o'clock in the afternoon, when
        the main body of the Rebels made a stand in a position of great
        strength on Middletown Hights, at a point commanding the Hagerstown
        road, and completely disputing our further progress after their
        retreating columns. Hitherto, artillery had ruled the day. The enemy
        was in a vastly superior position to shell our advance. Our troops
        had been so well handled that the losses were exceedingly light. At 3
        o'clock musketry began to play an important part in the engagement,
        our infantry advancing to within eight or nine rods of the enemy's
        lines before they opened fire.
        For two hours the fighting is said to have been the most savage yet
        known in the course of the war. All the time, however, the enemy were
        being slowly crowded back up the hill and into the gap. At 5 o'clock
        a general order to charge was given, and then occurred the fearful
        rush I spoke of in my last night's letter, the enemy running like
        sheep, piling the ground down the other side of the mountain with
        their dead. It was stern and cruel work with the blood-dripping
        bayonet, and the shrieking grape and canister found ready victims in
        the flying mass who hurried away from the death that followed after.
        It was a complete rout, no doubt of it.
        We are apt to hear of Gen. Hooker where there is fighting. He lead
        our right in the recent battle, Burnside the center, and Franklin the
        left. These several generals pushed on their men rapidly, following
        up every advantage, and allowing the enemy no opportunity to collect
        himself where he was shaken. This constant pressure turned what was
        for hours an orderly retreat into a disgraceful rout before sundown.
        In this battle, for perhaps the first time recently, the enemy were
        A messenger got through from Harper's Ferry on Sunday, with the
        intelligence that Col. Miles had been driven from the Maryland
        Heights, after destroying his guns, and was closely besieged by
        Stonewall Jackson. He had, however, been joined by Gen. White, and
        had been able up to the hour the messenger left to prevent the Rebels
        from placing any guns in position on the Maryland shore. Perhaps the
        army that moved up the Virginia side last Thursday may arrive in time
        to relieve Col. Miles, and to assist in preventing the Rebels from
        crossing at Williamsport.
        The remains of Gen. Reno lie at the establishment of Mr. John H.
        Weaver on Fayette Street, where they will undergo the process of
        embalming, which will occupy several days. They have been visited by
        many citizens, anxious to gaze at the hero of so many fights. He fell
        bravely, and his death was by no means in vain.




        PHILADELPHIA, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1862.

        A special dispatch to The Bulletin from Harrisburg says:
        "Telegraphic and railroad communications to Hagerstown was reopened
        last night, showing that place has been totally abandoned by the
        Rebels and re-occupied by our troops.
        "It is rumored at Hagerstown that another battle is going on this
        morning between Sharpsburg and Middleburg, but no particulars have
        been receivied.
        "Sharpsburg in near the Potomac, about 10 miles west of Middletown.
        "It is not unlikely that Gen. McClellan is engaging the Rebels in that
        neighborhood to-day, and disputing their passage of the river.
        "A hundred and eight prisoners, captured along with Gen. Longstreet's
        baggage-train by the cavalry that cut their way through from Harper's
        Ferry, arrived here this morning, and fifty more have reached

        HARRISBURG, Monday, Sept. 15, 1862. - 6 p.m.

        Dispatches received from Hagerstown say Gen. McClellan came up with
        the rear of the Rebel army at Sharpsburg, and that a battle is now in

        HARRISBURG, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1862.

        A dispatch just received at headquarters says Jackson has recrossed
        the Potomac, and Gen. McClellan has engaged him with tremendous force
        this side of Sharpsburg, and ten miles from that place.
        The whole Rebel army in Maryland will be annihilated or captured this
        night. No Rebels can be found about Hagerstown and Williamsport, and
        none two miles on the other side of the Potomac.


        The Battle of South Mountain

        BOONESBOROUGH,Md., Monday, Sept. 15, 1862.

        The battle of South Mountain was fought yesterday, resulting in
        complete victory to the Army of the Potomac. The battle-field was
        located in a gorge of the mountain, on the turnpike road, between
        Middletown and Boonseborough. During the forenoon the firing was by
        artillery, endeavoring to ascertain the Rebel strength and position.
        About 12 o'clock the corps under Gen. Reno was ordered to ascend the
        mountain on the left, and make an attack upon the enemy's flank.
        At 3 o'clock, Gen. Reno's troops got into action. The rattle of
        musketry for about half an hour was terrible, when the enemy gave way,
        leaving our men in possession of the ridge. The loss on both sides in
        this action was considerable. We had not a General or field officer
        injured at this point, excepting Major-Gen. Reno, who was killed, a
        Minie ball passing through his body.
        Gen. Hooker, commanding McDowell's corps and the Pennsylvania
        Reserves, ascended the mountain on the right, for the purpose of
        making an attack on the Rebels' left. He got his troops into
        position, and moved on the enemy about two hours before sundown.
        Here, as in the case on the other side of the mountain, our troops
        were successful, driving the enemy before them with great slaughter.
        The Rebels suffered her more than at any point of the battle-field.
        Gen. Hatch, commanding a division under Gen. Hooker, was wounded in
        the leg.
        Gen. Gibbon's brigade, composed of the 2nd, 6th, and 7th Wisconsin,
        and the 19thh Indiana Regiments, were ordered to move up the gorge of
        the mountain. This brigade did not get into action till after dark,
        but fought till nearly 9 o'clock. This brigade lost about 120 men
        killed and wounded. Among the dead is Capt. Cauldwell of the 2nd
        Wisconsin. The Rebels were driven back for about a mile, when
        Gibbon's brigade was relieved by a portion of Sumner's corps, wahoo
        held the position during the night.
        The Rebel troops engaged were Longstreet's, D.

        [continued in Column 4]
      • Brian Downey
        The New York Daily Tribune. Vol. XXII .....No. 6,694. NEW-YORK, WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 1862. PRICE TWO CENTS. [Front Page, Fourth Column] [from Col 3: ...
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 27, 2001
        • 0 Attachment
          The New York Daily Tribune.
          Vol. XXII .....No. 6,694.
          NEW-YORK, WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 1862.
          PRICE TWO CENTS.

          [Front Page, Fourth Column]

          [from Col 3: ... The Rebel troops engaged were Longstreet's, D.] H.
          Hill's and A. P. Hill's corps. Had our troops had two hours longer of
          daylight the greater portion of the Rebel army would have been taken
          prisoner, as they were surrounded on three sides, the only mode of
          escaping being a narrow defile in the mountain, which the artillery
          would soon have made impassable.
          Among the Rebel officers known to be killed were Gen. Garland of
          Leesburg, and Col. Strong of the 19th Virginia. The latter's body was
          obtained to-day by flag of truce.
          At daylight this morning our worst fears were realized. The Rebels,
          under cover of night, had left on their way to the Potomac.
          They went to this place, two miles from the mountains, and there took
          the road toward Sharpsburg. They left all their dead on the field,
          and those of the wounded not able to walk were found in the churches
          of Boonesboro'.
          Gen. McClellan was on the field during the whole day and night,
          conducting all movements in person.
          Between 1,200 and 1,500 prisoners were taken during the day, most of
          them by troops under Gen. Hooker. Yesterday, Gen. Franklin's corps
          advanced to a mountain pass six miles nearer Harper's Ferry, where he
          engaged the enemy, holding the pass for about three hours, resulting
          in a complete rout of the enemy and heavy loss. Our loss in the action
          was about 250 killed and wounded. The Rebel loss during the day and
          night was fully 15,000, killed, wounded, and missing. Gen. Lee
          acknowledged to the citizens of Boonesboro' that they had been
          defeated with terrible loss. Our loss in killed and wounded will
          probably reach 3,000. We lost but few prisoners.


          BOONESBORO',Md., Monday, Sept. 15, 1862.

          This morning at daylight Gen. Pleasonton, with the 8th Illinois
          Cavalry and Capt. Fitchall's Battery, started after the enemy. At
          Boonesboro' he came up with the 9th Virginia Cavalry, with a battery
          acting as rear guard.
          The Illinois Cavalry charged after them through the town and two
          miles out on the Hagerstown turnpike, capturing two of their guns, and
          killed and wounded and took prisoner about thirty of the cavalry.
          Gen. Richardson's Division being in advance, took the road from this
          place toward Sharpsburg, two and a half miles from which twon he came
          up with the enemy in large force, who occupied a long ridge of hills.
          They showed a line of battle one mile and a half long.
          The afternoon was spent in ascertaining the position and force of the
          Rebels, not a sufficient number of our troops having come up to bring
          on an engagement.

          Tuesday Morning, Sept. 16, 1862.

          During last night the larger part of the army arrived on the ground.
          It is now 9 o'clock, and no engagement has taken place. The Rebels
          are rapidly moving across the river.

          HARRISBURG, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1862.

          The prisoners, 100 in number, captured yesterday by the New-York and
          Illinois Cavalry, and sent to Chambersburg, were this morning brought
          to this city and sent to Camp Curtin. Claggett Fithugh, a resident of
          the vicinity of Chambersburg, was among the number. He has been
          furnishing information to the enemy since their raid into Maryland.
          The dead body of Gen. Garland was found concealed in one of the
          wagons captured by the same party of cavalry, between Hagerstown and
          The wire to Hagerstown is again in good working order.


          Later from the Front.

          FREDERICK, Md., Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1862.

          The following is to The Baltimore American:
          The intelligence from the front this morning is of the most cheering
          character. Notwithstanding the bad news from Harper's Ferry, Gen
          McClellan was pursuing them with a vigor most destructive to the
          McClellan pursued the enemy on Monday morning with his reserves and a
          large body of fresh troops. The enemy took road the toward the river
          at Harper's Ferry and at Sheppardstown, and he was pursuing them and
          shelling their retreat with great loss. In several contests Monday
          where they made a stand, our troops charged on them with such vigor
          that they fell back from point to point in great haste. The battles
          and advantages obtained on Monday are thought to be superior in
          importance than that of Sunday.
          Drayton's South Carolina brigade is entirely gone - either killed,
          wounded, or prisoners. The 17th Michigan, a new regiment, "done up"
          this brigade, first with bullets, finally with bayonets.
          Howell Cobb was wounded and taken prisoner, and will be back in
          Frederick sooner than he boasted he would.
          Gen. McClellan was pushing on them last evening, however, very close,
          and had already sent to the rear 8,000 prisoners and four batteries.
          Col. Stroge of the 19th Virginia and Col. James of the 3d South
          Carolina were killed on Sunday last. Their bodies were left in our
          The South Carolina Brigade was severely handled.




          The Fighting at Charleston - The Rebels
          Severely Handled - The Destruction of
          the Village - Orderly Retreat of Col.

          GALLIPOLIS, Monday, Sept. 15, 1862.

          No particulars of the Charleston fight have been received. All
          reports, however, agree that the Rebels were severely handled, and
          repulsed with great loss. Col. Lightburn gave the citizens an hour's
          notice to leave the town before the place was destroyed. Lightburn's
          forces marched through the place in perfect order, taking the Ripley
          road, going toward Ravenswood, on the Ohio River, where they arrived
          this evening, bringing his baggage train through in safety. Steamers
          have been sent to his assistance. The 47th Ohio, 9th Virginia, and 2d
          Virginia Cavalry, who were cut off at Summerville, succeeded in
          joining Lightburn, and were in the Charleston fight.
          This place is full of refugee contrabands, who came down the Kanawha
          in boats, most of whom are in a destitute condition. There are 500
          sick and wounded soldiers here, sent from Charleston before the fight.
          The enemy is supposed to be moving slowly down the Kanawha.


          Guerrillas Routed

          QUINCY, Ill., Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1862.

          Col. McNeil had a two hours' fight with Porter's gang of guerrillas,
          near Shelburne, yesterday, resulting in the complete rout of the
          latter, with the loss of 2 killed and a number wounded. Col. McNeil
          captured 20 wagons and a number of horses and guns.
        • Teej Smith
          Brian Downey wrote: ... Brian, I ve done quite a lot of work with the Richmond papers of that period. And you re right about how the accounts differed.
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 29, 2001
          • 0 Attachment
            Brian Downey wrote:

            > BTW, in the future I plan to get copies of other newspapers for
            > comparison ... I'll bet these events played a little differently in
            > Richmond!


            I've done quite a lot of work with the Richmond papers of that period.
            And you're right about how the accounts differed. If the piece
            originated with the Richmond paper and the battle was a success, it was
            a sound beating with the "enemy" being driven back towards Washington.
            If it was less than a success the story was still printed but with words
            like "temporary setback" included or "the numbers of the enemy proved to
            be too great, still the men of (plug in whichever unit that was
            engaged)engaged the enemy with boldness and gallantry."
            One thing that surprised me was entire dispatches and orders were often
            printed within a day or so of the battle. One other thing I found very
            interesting was the Richmond papers would often print the same story as
            it appeared in the Washington Star side by side of their own account.

          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.