Re: [TalkAntietam] Burnsides Bridge by Tucker

  • Tom Clemens
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 26, 2001
      I wrote a review of it for somebody, don't remember who right now. It is OK, a
      few minor factual errors, but some good research. His main theme was my main
      issue. First he narrows Toombs force to 300 men, which is too small a figure,
      and then he makes repeated comparisons to them and the 300 Spartans at
      Thermopylae. Obviuosly the comparsison are weak, and i think he'd been bettre
      off to simply acknowledge that Toombs did an effective job of denying use of
      the bridge to the Federals for several hours.
      Tom Clemens

      rotbaron@... wrote:

      > I just started reading "Burnside's Bridge" by Phillip Tucker.
      >
      > Anyone have an opinion on this book? Any glaring errors I should keep watch
      > for? All reviews (good or bad) are welcome!
      >
      > Tom Shay - Cressona, PA

    • David Lutton
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 26, 2001

        Leaving the references to King Leonidas and his fellow heroic Lacedaemonians
        aside, (my favorite military campaign), I did find the book instructive on
        the service performed by Toombs' men after their repulse from the bridge
        area in the final repulse of the 9th Corps.

        David Lutton
        Hollidaysburg PA
        > I wrote a review of it for somebody, don't remember who right now. It is
        OK, a
        > few minor factual errors, but some good research. His main theme was my
        main
        > issue. First he narrows Toombs force to 300 men, which is too small a
        figure,
        > and then he makes repeated comparisons to them and the 300 Spartans at
        > Thermopylae. Obviuosly the comparsison are weak, and i think he'd been
        bettre
        > off to simply acknowledge that Toombs did an effective job of denying use
        of
        > the bridge to the Federals for several hours.
        > Tom Clemens
        >
        > rotbaron@... wrote:
        >
        > > I just started reading "Burnside's Bridge" by Phillip Tucker.
        > >
        > > Anyone have an opinion on this book? Any glaring errors I should keep
        watch
        > > for? All reviews (good or bad) are welcome!
        > >
        > > Tom Shay - Cressona, PA
        > >

        > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • TR Livesey
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 26, 2001
          I thought the handwaving statistics near the end that compared
          Toombs losses with AP Hills' losses which overall 'proved' that
          Toombs did most of the repulsing of the IX corps, kind of left
          a bad impression.

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 27, 2001
            David,
            Yes indeed, many accounts ignor that brigade's accomplishments after the stand
            at the bridge, and the two other regiments join them. Keith Snyder, NPS
            ranger, refers to Toombs as the energizer bunny of Antietam. Agreed.