Monuments on the Bridge

    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
      What year were the monuments taken off of the Burnside Bridge? Thanks.

      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
        I think the early 60's when the Washington County Historical Society and other purchased the land around it and donated it to the NPS. They built the terrace and moved the monuments from the corner posts of the bridge. I remember them on the corners when I first visited Antietam in the 1950's, but then, I am old.

        What year were the monuments taken off of the Burnside Bridge? Thanks.

        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007

          Thanks. I'll check with the WCHS when I drop off my membership check.

          And Tom, I've seen your tours. You're not getting older, you're getting
          better. <g>

          Stephen

          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
            What new concrete bridge was built on the battlefield in January of
            1928? Thanks.

            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
              I would have to guess the Middle Bridge over the Boonsboro
              Turnpike....

              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                That's what I was thinking. It would've been steel after the first one
                collapsed. Thanks.

                Stephen

                On Tuesday, September 18, 2007, at 05:48 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

                > I would have to guess the Middle Bridge over the Boonsboro
                > Turnpike....

              • Tom Shay
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                  These monuments were all moved off Burnside Bridge in 1964 (during it's restoration) :
                  The 51st PA Infantry monument was removed from SE corner of bridge.
                  The 35th MASS Infantry monument was removed from NW corner of bridge.
                  The 21st MASS Infantry monument was removed from SW corner of bridge.

                  What year were the monuments taken off of the Burnside Bridge? Thanks.

                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 18, 2007
                    Awesome. Thanks.

                    Stephen