Burnsides Bridge by Tucker

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 26, 2001
      I just started reading "Burnside's Bridge" by Phillip Tucker.

      Anyone have an opinion on this book? Any glaring errors I should keep watch
      for? All reviews (good or bad) are welcome!

      Tom Shay - Cressona, PA
    • Tom Clemens
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 26, 2001
        I wrote a review of it for somebody, don't remember who right now. It is OK, a
        few minor factual errors, but some good research. His main theme was my main
        issue. First he narrows Toombs force to 300 men, which is too small a figure,
        and then he makes repeated comparisons to them and the 300 Spartans at
        Thermopylae. Obviuosly the comparsison are weak, and i think he'd been bettre
        off to simply acknowledge that Toombs did an effective job of denying use of
        the bridge to the Federals for several hours.
        Tom Clemens

        rotbaron@... wrote:

        > I just started reading "Burnside's Bridge" by Phillip Tucker.
        >
        > Anyone have an opinion on this book? Any glaring errors I should keep watch
        > for? All reviews (good or bad) are welcome!
        >
        > Tom Shay - Cressona, PA

      • David Lutton
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 26, 2001

          Leaving the references to King Leonidas and his fellow heroic Lacedaemonians
          aside, (my favorite military campaign), I did find the book instructive on
          the service performed by Toombs' men after their repulse from the bridge
          area in the final repulse of the 9th Corps.

          David Lutton
          Hollidaysburg PA
          > I wrote a review of it for somebody, don't remember who right now. It is
          OK, a
          > few minor factual errors, but some good research. His main theme was my
          main
          > issue. First he narrows Toombs force to 300 men, which is too small a
          figure,
          > and then he makes repeated comparisons to them and the 300 Spartans at
          > Thermopylae. Obviuosly the comparsison are weak, and i think he'd been
          bettre
          > off to simply acknowledge that Toombs did an effective job of denying use
          of
          > the bridge to the Federals for several hours.
          > Tom Clemens
          >
          > rotbaron@... wrote:
          >
          > > I just started reading "Burnside's Bridge" by Phillip Tucker.
          > >
          > > Anyone have an opinion on this book? Any glaring errors I should keep
          watch
          > > for? All reviews (good or bad) are welcome!
          > >
          > > Tom Shay - Cressona, PA
          > >

          > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • TR Livesey
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 26, 2001
            I thought the handwaving statistics near the end that compared
            Toombs losses with AP Hills' losses which overall 'proved' that
            Toombs did most of the repulsing of the IX corps, kind of left
            a bad impression.

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 27, 2001
              David,
              Yes indeed, many accounts ignor that brigade's accomplishments after the stand
              at the bridge, and the two other regiments join them. Keith Snyder, NPS
              ranger, refers to Toombs as the energizer bunny of Antietam. Agreed.